Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mora Triflex Carbon Steel Knife Review

Scout
    Thanks

Default Mora Triflex Carbon Steel Knife Review

just before the holidays I bought a Mora Triflex to take with me on a boat trip in the Bahamas that I did not want to risk taking my nicer knife on. I figured it was a good, cheap option that in case it falls in the ocean and is lost I wouldnt care too much about.

I got to use it on the trip but in very minor ways, and no bushcrafting or carving, other than cutting a fish for bait. Last night was the first time I actually sat down and spent some time putting it to the test.

Happy to say that I was incredibly impressed. Not only did it come razor sharp (which is augmented by the thinner blade than my other 4mm knives) but it seems to be very durable, strong and comfortable for long use.

I battoned wood, carved some pot hangers, used it with a firesteel, and carved some incredibly fine feather sticks. What was really amazing.......and somewhat frustrating........is that the rubber handle and its corresponding shape I actually found to be much more comfortable than any of my expensive knives.

For anyone looking to get a cheap but highly effective piece of bush kit, the Triflex will suit you well! The plastic sheath is also nice as you dont have to worry about upkeep. All in all a great package for only $20!

Thanks

Any rust issues around all that salt water?

Scout
    Thanks

minimal. Yes, rust started to appear on day 4 after I had not put any protective coatings on the knife, but it never got out of hand (certainly not as much as my Leatherman got on it over the same timeframe). And a quick rubdown with the slurry from my water stone once i got home took it right off with no problems.

That was one of the main reasons I got that knife too...was that I didnt want to risk rusting my good knife. But I was impressed with the fact that I did no preventative maintenance and it still didnt rust too bad

Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 408 Posts

I have several of the older discontinued triflex knives. I really like them. For some reason the seem easier to sharpen really well and hold a good edge. I have had some rust issues, they seem to rust faster than other mora blades. I don't know why. They also take a very dark patina with the jungle juices we have here. They make a good companion to a machete as long as you take care of the blade.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,918 Times in 935 Posts

I have a couple of the old ones and a new one which I think is just a great knife and looks good as well.
    The Cisco Kid is a friend of mine:)

[B]THE AXE MOB

FORMERLY KNOWN AS HOP

Thanks

Cool. My mora is 18 years old and has seen a lot of use around freshwater, canoeing and fishing and working in the rain etc, and never had any rust problems that actually using the knife didn't take care of, or a good soapy wash and scrub once back home. Just never had it near salt water so was always curious how long it would take for that light rust to appear in a humid salty environment, thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 723 Posts
    Items for Sale

I'm still confused as to what Triflex is. It isn't laminated, Mora says its carbon, but the one I was gifted (like yours) doesn't seem to rust much or patina...

I wonder if it's got a surface treatment.

Thanks

I thought it was laminated. I have a 780 that I love. Been a great knife. I've started using the Condor Bushcraft more now, but the 780 is still one of my favorite knives!

Banned Member
    Thanks

..man, im still looking for a source to get a hold of the old 510 or the green handled 510...anybody has any connections anywhere to help a bro out?
    pm me please.
    jamie

Bushmaster
    Thanks

Honest review, shorty - thanks.
    I bought some Mora 840's for gifts this past season - after some rave reviews on BCUSA.

I kept one for me - and had to put it down after some use too...just too scary to the ownership of some of my much-more-expensive knives! LOL! They sure a heck of knife for a small price.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast