Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum scams

Scout
    Thanks

Someone looking for free gear because of staring out in bushcraft, I would send them to this thread:
    http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6719

Its a listing of free/cheap materials. I would also encourage them to look at thrift stores, and military surplus stores.

When I first started out most of my gear was from these places, and honestly still is. I have been blessed and able to pick up a few enhanced items, but at it's core I am still using the same skills I was using with the discount store tarp and thrift store backpack. I agree, If you feel moved to help someone in need, check them out, but bushcraft is less about the stuff and more about the skill, IMHO. It is a great thing to be a giver, and one of the things that got me hooked here was seeing the genuine community and generosity. Just be careful folks. Thanks for bringing this back around.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf won View Post
    I've dealt with the guy for a long time, so I'm pretty sure he's a straight shooter. I agree his email account was not the way to contact people, but as soon as it was brought to his attention he could have been on the phone or sending a fax warning everyone.
    As someone who's had his email account hacked before, I hope you don't judge the guy too harshly. The people who do that are slick and have done it hundreds or thousands of times. They know what to do and keep the scam going as long as possible. I'd give your vendor the benefit of the doubt if you haven't had issues with him before. Chances are he's more of a victim than you are.

Again...assuming you've delt with him and trust him based on prior experience.
    Last edited by karlhungusjr; 03-09-2012 at 11:29 AM.

TANSTAAFL Supporter werewolf won's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,094 Times in 2,203 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by karlhungusjr View Post
    As someone who's had his email account hacked before, I hope you don't judge the guy too harshly. The people who do that are slick and have done it hundreds or thousands of times. They know what to do and keep the scam going as long as possible. I'd give your vendor the benefit of the doubt if you haven't had issues with him before. Chances are he's more of a victim than you are.

Again...assuming you've delt with him and trust him based on prior experience.
    Like I said Iíve known the guy for years. This makes me more apt to have wired him a few hundred bucks to get home. As the OP says we have to be ever vigilant, the bad guys are out there. I donít harbor any ill will towards this guy, and would not have even if I did send out money. Hackers are slicker than greased owl dodo.

Wolf
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend itís a plan!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 350 Posts

Since there have been so many new people comming into the site lately. I thought that I would give this thread a bump to let the newcommers know that there are some unscrupulse people out there that will try to scam anyone they can. Fortunately the Mods here do a wonderful job of catching on to thers creeps that they don't stay around long..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zornt For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I enjoy giving. I read somewhere that I am going to leave it all one day, anyway.

I try to show some wisdom from above when I give to people that I might encounter.

The final payday is coming. Making more deposits than withdrawals from life's bank account is a good thing.

Scout
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 434 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjefe2u View Post
    I enjoy giving. I read somewhere that I am going to leave it all one day, anyway.

I try to show some wisdom from above when I give to people that I might encounter.

The final payday is coming. Making more deposits than withdrawals from life's bank account is a good thing.
    Mr jefe walks the walk....Uncas

Scout
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 168 Posts

I was burned on one forum by a guy that wanted to trade for a knife, so were a bunch of other people. That is another one you want to watch out for, basically he was a thief and has since been band from a number of forums.

Scout Deceased
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf won View Post
    I've dealt with the guy for a long time, so I'm pretty sure he's a straight shooter. I agree his email account was not the way to contact people, but as soon as it was brought to his attention he could have been on the phone or sending a fax warning everyone.
    I received an, "I need help!" email from England in the name of a friend who I knew to be traveling the world at the time. I engaged in several email exchanges and became more suspicious. I finally told the "friend" to call me by phone - and I took note of the calling phone number. I also told the caller I had made different arrangements to help my friend. My actual friend and colleague later contacted the people in his address book to report he had been hacked. The real disappointment for me occurred when I provided the calling number to an LEO colleague - and he wasn't interested. I tried.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dearborn For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I am new here and cannot afford cool tools....therefore I make them. It is sad to see people taking advantage of good people but you must remember that the heart of man is evil.

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amish View Post
    ..........but you must remember that the heart of man is evil.
    Huh? Speak for yourself! My heart ain't all that bad.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walkabout Guy For This Useful Post:

Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast