Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum scams

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,920 Times in 1,057 Posts

Thanks for the reminder, too bad it has to be that way. There have always been scam artists and there always will. Let us be mindful and careful.
    Tracker Pack #19

Banned Member
    Thanks

Thanks for putting this up. I've given a few things to members on here and got to see them in use in a thread. Gave me really good feelings seeing the kids smiles!!

I guess there will always be people who take advantage of acts of kindness. They will have to answer for their deeds someday...

But you are right, we need to be careful!!

Thanks

At times, I feel God nudge me to give something away... Normally something I dont want to give away, but I feel like all my "stuff" belongs to Him anyway. If I give to them because I feel like God led me to, and they were out to only take advantage, I believe God will bless my obedience and curse his disobedience. You can't out-give God.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alarmguy21 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have some gear, though not as much or as nice as others. I will not blatantly ask for gear. I'd rather have something more important: KNOWLEDGE.

Thanks
    Thanked 32,617 Times in 9,272 Posts

One of the strengths of this forum is a "can do" mentality. That is why the "Camp Gear under $100" thread took off so well, and why we have so many discussions of ways to make, rather than buy our gear. That has carried into our responses to those who need gear to a degree. I always felt, give them a knife and canteen, and they can pretty well make the rest of what they _need_. Those who lose gear to a thief or burglar are deserving of sympathy, and if you know them well, a bit of aid unasked for will be appreciated, but if they are bushcrafters, they will get their act together and soon have a kit to get out again.
    Nemo me impune lacessit ! Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    Turley Knife Club #59

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GreyOne For This Useful Post:

Thanks

While I know the caring, friendly and generous spirit of the members here can be exploited, I also know that there are a lot of savvy people who can sniff a scam from across the cyberscape and will root out those devious folks who seek to take advantage of others.

BTW, early on in my membership of this forum I reached out to a "fellow in need" who had over 100 posts here at BCUSA and agreed through PMing that I would send him a "needed" item at no cost, if he would pay for shipping. I sent the item. He never paid for shipping. It wasn't much money, just under $12.00 that I lost. But it was the principle of his word and a "fair deal" that was violated.

This fellow went onto my FOS list, and I gained an valuable lesson.

Since then, I've had good trades with a number of folks here.

Scout
    Thanks

you hit the nail on the head on this one!

Elder Bush Class Basic Certified
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 37,678 Times in 10,198 Posts

Just somethin to add to KOAs post. Although we as MODS and Owners cant get involved in any bad trades, and or sales. We do appreciate being put into the loop if there is any problems. At least I do
    Nie pogrywaj ze mna

Scout
    Thanks

Today is my first day here on the forum. I'll be the first to admit I don't have all the hi-tech gear many have and I dream about. But, what I do have and use are common sense, creativity, improvizational skills and knowledge. All of these add up to amassing quite a large amount of gear which suffice for me. Garage sales and the Salvation Army are other sources of wealth for me.

Helping others less fortunate than I am like the homeless and of course family are on my list of good deeds.

No need to be forever crying for others to help you if you don't take the initiative to help yourself out first. Unfortunately many are too quick to holler and hold out their hands for charity.

Thanks

Ran into a similar situation with a kid who wanted a canteen. He agreed to pay $2 + postage for a genuine like new GI canteen and cover. $7 is a cheap lesson. He has disappeared from the forum and Facebook.
    Last edited by BEARS BUDDY; 01-08-2011 at 11:05 AM.

Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast