Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold storage fishing worms

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 1,203 Posts

Default Cold storage fishing worms

I made an interesting discovery yesterday, in anticipation of an ice fishing expedition.
    Last August, I had put the container with some left over nightcrawlers in our spare refrigerator to save for the next trip. They got over looked. Yesterday I discovered them, and checked on their condition. I found I had over 2 dozen very hypothermic, but very healthy worms!
    They've been in hibernation for 5 months at 36 degrees. Another container I found didn't fare well at all.
    There were two differences between the two containers of worms.
    The failed ones were in the little 1/2 pint Styrofoam store container, with one tiny air hole, and packed in whatever media the grower used.
    The successful ones I had placed in a pint yogurt container, poked many air holes in the lid, and packed them in Miracle Grow Potting Soil.
    I've raised worms in dedicated worm boxes outdoors many times, but sever cold has always killed them off. Now I'm thinking I've found a way to winter-over a few starters for the next year.

Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,241 Times in 1,119 Posts

I use a bait fridge to keep all my "live" baits in, worms (lobworms, dendrobena's, red worms), maggots, pinkies, squatts, casters and not forgeting bloodworm & joker, saves a fortune in wasted bait over the course of a year.
    Last edited by Rubarb; 01-28-2011 at 12:25 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,520 Times in 1,025 Posts

interesting.....vermiculture is a cool hobby....I doubt that red wigglers would have survived- but nightcrawlers are fairly hearty.
    I have found them under frozen bark and punky logs in early spring looking quite plump and healthy.

I also have a dedicated beer and bait fridge in my detatched garage- keeps the misses out of it.
    Last edited by rusty stove; 01-28-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kepis View Post
    I use a bait fridge to keep all my "live" baits in, worms (lobworms, dendrobena's, red worms), maggots, pinkies, squatts, casters and not forgeting bloodworm & joker, saves a fortune in wasted bait over the course of a year.
    Kepis....you guys have advanced light line and long rod float fishing down to a art form.

I like to use 2lb test line when stream fishing for panfish- keeps things interesting if a bass or carp hits.

Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rusty stove View Post
    Kepis....you guys have advanced light line and long rod float fishing down to a art form.

I like to use 2lb test line when stream fishing for panfish- keeps things interesting if a bass or carp hits.
    This time of year when the water is just a shade above freezing im using 12oz flourocarbon line and size 26 hooks, come the summer though when the carp are moving then i step up to 6 or 8lb line fished straight through to a size 14 hook.

Best one though was my Dad, he caught a 24lb carp on 4lb line

Guide
    Thanks

Thank you OP.. I needed to know how to keep nightcrawlers longer. I love to go crawler hunting, and have used a few different things to keep them in , but never thought of MGrow. That paper bedding turns sour quite fast. ick.

We have dedicated ice cream buckets in the fridge floor. One for nights and one for Leeches. We can keep leeches all year long by changing water once a week with well water and when they start looking a lil sluggish I will put a piece of liver in there for a day..then change water again later that day.

Anyone have a good way of catching leeches?

Marsh.

Thanks

that's awesome....24lbs. I am a big fan of REALLY small hooks....I really like the Orvis Big eye hooks down to 26 or so- because I can tie them on without my reading glasses- few things are more satisfying than taking a youngster on their first fishing trip and seeing them excited with their first catch- and that size hooks lets it happen before they loose patience.
    I had no idea that they made floro down to 12oz....do you happen to know the brand name it is sold under?

Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rusty stove View Post
    I had no idea that they made floro down to 12oz....do you happen to know the brand name it is sold under?
    Here yo go, dunno if you canget it in the US though http://www.summerlands-tackle.co.uk/...on-hook-length

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 1,203 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh View Post

Anyone have a good way of catching leeches?

Marsh.
    I dunno...put on shorts and go wading in a stagnant pond?
    I usually just find them under rocks on occasion, but I don't look for, or fish with them much.
    You feed your leeches liver. How about making a trap out of a Mason jar and bait it with liver?

Guide
    Thanks

I smeared chicken livers on a bottom of a duck boat once from a tip I had heard about... was all excited to tip that boat over and there it was... a HUGE snapping turtle... just sitting there..waiting... I was gone. never went back. ha ha ha I hate those things!!

I might try something different this spring in our lake. We'll see how it works. I dont have to go into the water for it.

I went to look a few mins ago.. I do have Miracle Grow Soil so I'm all set to try that this spring. I pick 100's of crawlers at a time.

Marsh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast