Thread: Tangle Gut, it's what's for dinner!

Tracker
    Thanks

Default Tangle Gut, it's what's for dinner!

Also known to you furriners as "Spring Beauty."

This Spring get out into the woods and find yourself some "Spring Beauty", unless you're in Appalachia and then find yourself some "Tangle Gut." It takes quite a bit to pick a good mess, but what follows is absolutely one of the best salads ever made. If you enjoy "kilt lettuce" which is lettuce and onions "killed" with hot grease, then you'll love this. If you pick Tangle Gut, don't pick it all. Leave some, because it'll repopulate and you have a good supply until it finally passes away sometime in Summer.

Pick out the weeds, sticks, dirt, whatever is there and rinse it in COLD water. All you want remaining are the flowers, leaves, buds, and stems. Dice an onion (I like green onions, but red onions would be awesome in it, too.) and toss the onion and the Spring Beauty in a big bowl, NOT A PLASTIC BOWL as you'll be pouring blistering hot grease into the bowl in a minute.
    In a skillet, heat about a cup of oil: Olive Oil, Vegetable Oil, Canola Oil, Bacon Grease, whatever. We use Vegetable oil. Get it hot enough until it just starts to smoke.
    Pour the hot oil over the salad you have in the bowl until the leaves are wilted, you may not have to use the entire skillet of grease. If not, just let whatever is left cool and return it to the container!
    Salt to taste and enjoy with a huge hunk of cornbread, some pork chops, some soup beans, and maybe a Salmon patty.
    Last edited by Beardog; 02-08-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Guide
    Thanks

I'm always interested Beardog, in what people in other parts of the country call the wild plants in their area. In my area their called Fairy Spuds for the small potato like tubers that I boil up and eat.

I like hot bacon dressing poured over my wild greens, another local dressing, and I'll agree with you on the corn bread.

Great picture of the plant.

Tony

Tracker
    Thanks

Beardog, yur southern is a showin. I suppose you like ramps too lol...

Tracker
    Thanks

Oh, sorry about that. It's always slipping out, silly thing has a mind of its own! :: tucks back in ::

Ramps?

:: Uses his Jedi Master-level Google-fu ::

Oh! Wild Onions. Yessir, I do. An excellent salad, I've found, is: wild onions, wild garlic, some young Dandelion leaves, Common Plantain, some Cherry Tomatoes or Roma Tomatoes, salt, and a good bleu cheese dressing.