Thread: British Army Crusader Cook Set

Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 1,119 Posts

Default British Army Crusader Cook Set

Short video i made last July on the Crusader Cook set, apologies for the poor quality of the footage, some of you have seen this before in a previous life

YouTube - Brew Kit

Tracker
    Thanks

Brit Stove--JUNK
    Made in the USA Zippo---Saves day...lol

Love the truth in advertising of the green goo and the stove...JUNK LOL

Scott

rik_uk3

I went to the UK 2006 bushmoot camp and a guy by the name of Stewart intoduced himself and asked me if I was the "Stovie guy off the forum" I said yes and he asked if I used the Crusader stove. I told that I'd tried it but did not rate it, due to very poor performance and told me "I was one of the designers" I said sorry but it was just my opinion and the surprising news was that he agreed, it was crap.

He told me how, IIRC, the design brief was to make a cooker that would burn alcohol gel, as cheap as possible using existing machinery at the factory that punches out the Crusader mug its purpose being to heat water for a brew or ration pack meal.

I guess with those limitations the stove is as good as you'll get and are far better than the MRE heater pouches.

Winter 2007 at one camp a mate gave up trying to boil water on one (even with a lid on the mug) after about twenty minutes and I boiled a kettle for him on a stove; the temp was only around 28f -4c.

That said, nice video as usual Mark

Tracker
    Thanks

Thanks for sharing this, I wanted to order this set up. I did order the Ti-tri Caldera Titanium Goat. Only because they said it was a tri fuel stove. I have not had a chance to test it. Its extremely warm here at this time, so I will probably wait until Fall. Honestly, my 3 dollar hobo stove will cook just fine, I need to build one our of stainless.

Scout
    Thanks

I use what I assume to be the US equivalent to this. It works ok but does not have a tray for the alchohol which Im not saddened by. Its good for little hikes and I burn wood in it to warm up my brew.

Thanks

I have one of these the cup is brill my favorite mug in fact but the burner is pure pants.

Mark