Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home made Maple sap evaporator

Guide
    Thanks

Default Home made Maple sap evaporator

Fired it up today for a test run, works good, but still could use a little tweeking. I ran out of money halfway into it, but she'll boil sap.

I'm going out tomorrow to tap trees, rain or shine.

YouTube - Maple Syrup Evaporator Home Made

Thanks

Well thought out! let's see after the season.
    Did not see any embers coming off the stove top but you may want to do a "T"with the grate in the inside center,less chance of rain rolling in and sparks getting out.There is one made on bearings so the wind will make it shift.
    Last edited by akabu; 02-27-2011 at 10:33 PM.

John, the baptist

Any chance at some pics? I don't have any chance of seeing that video (dial-up). I'm in KY...so our season is just about over. I can't upload any pics at the moment, but this is my first season boiling...

I made my setup out of a 55 gallon drum, a barrel stove kit, and 2 buffet line trays (fairly large). My first boil I started at 11 am, and didn't wrap it up until 5 am...yep, you read that right. I boiled over 60 gallons of sap (i know this probably took wayyyyyyy too long, but hey, it was my first ride on this pony). Took a bit of time to get the damper/door/sap level/fire level to the point of constant and HOT boiling. Man that sure is some sweet syrup. I only had 24 spiles this year, but I'll probably run about 150 next year based on the number of Sugar Maples I've got. One thing is certain. I need a better setup, and bigger pans...

I've still got taps dripping, 60 gallons of sap, and more coming...not looking forward to all that boiling...but I am looking forward to all that syrup .
    Last edited by John, the baptist; 03-01-2011 at 08:49 AM.

John, the baptist

Now I see that video face atleast. Three pans are def better than two, but it looks like I'm using the same pans...love to see the rest of that setup.

Guide
    Thanks

Would bringing the steel plate forward over the firebox more give you better heat distribution?
    Maybe a baffle in the stack to slow the heat down...hmmm, just thinking outloud here.
    Can't wait to see your results.
    Do you gather your sap in bags or buckets? Hope to see some video of you tappin'

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sotramk View Post
    Would bringing the steel plate forward over the firebox more give you better heat distribution?
    Maybe a baffle in the stack to slow the heat down...hmmm, just thinking outloud here.
    Can't wait to see your results.
    Do you gather your sap in bags or buckets? Hope to see some video of you tappin'
    totally agree...if you slide the steel plate back in the direction of the feed door and put it directly under you pans it will work like a heat exchanger. just make sure the pan is sitting directly on top of the plate, u can use brick or furnace mortor to level the steel.... it would draft a bit better as there would be a clear direction for the heat to travel and you would use far less wood and have to feed it less.... just a thought, i have used similar set ups while building smokers and it made the world of difference.... looks great though looking forward to seeing you pour some syrup on the waffles....
    anthony

Guide
    Thanks

I'm doing buckets with tubing going directly into the bucket from a tree saver spile.

Thanks for all the tips on the design, it does need a bit of tweeking, but near the end i had two pans rolling and the third was steaming pretty good. I think I'm getting around 6 gallons an hour, but I want to get that third pan boiling. I ran short on funds, as I planned on welding some sheet inside and framing the pans out with angle.

Akabu, what you're talking about sounds interesting, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean regarding the location of the T.

John, the baptist, it took me 10 hours to boil 10 gallons of sap last year on a little Coleman stove, so I guess you're doing OK. My setup will hold 4 pans as is, or coud hold one large 3X5 pan or something in between. Here's a couple pics or you can look at my photobucket page here.

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m...Maple%20Syrup/

All of my maple syrup pics will be there.

I tapped 12 trees today before my drill died, and am uploading a vid and a few pics now to PB and YouTube. The sap is flowing, should be boiling by the weekend.

Guide
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mobasha View Post
    ...looking forward to seeing you pour some syrup on the waffles....
    anthony
    Ya, me too!

John, the baptist

Thanks for the pics! I happen to have a fuel tank just like that sitting empty right now. I was planning on filling it with diesel, and probably still will, but that looks excellent.

Guide
    Thanks

You're welcome! The guy I bought that tank from fills them with cooking oil and uses it in the summer to run his vw's, diesels.

I got 2 face cords of wood today, so I'm all set to make syrup now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast