Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Superglue for wounds

adrenjunky

Spruce sap works well to close a wound.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J-P View Post
    Electrical tape and a field dressing is all you need cuts you can tape up this seals the cut and covers it, if you are bleeding like a stuck pig get the field dressing out and cry for ya mama! lol
    Thats a very dangerous way of exposing your body to direct and highly toxic shot of lead, im an electrician and have done just that for years on wounds, i was informed by an OSHA safety represenative how bad that was, now i use duct tape.

sticks65

Ive used super glue to seal wounds and can tell you it stings like hell LOL.

I carry liquid plaster in my first aid kit which is good but sting just as much as SG.

Elder
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,586 Times in 2,777 Posts

I have this stuff called liquid skin or second skin or some such...works well but tends to wash out of the wound too easily.
    I often use a two layered approach: wash wound, fill wound with tincture of iodine, dab off with clean cloth, and then "stitch" the cut in the center *only* with some superglue and then I put a butterfly bandage or some such on it. Works fairly well so far, no terrible, limb-rotting infections despite me working in the (germy) basement with cut-up hands
    PMZ

Curmudgeon. B.O.F. Supporter 45jack's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 1,308 Posts

I've used super glue as well, and agree with Stick65. It stings.
    I'm not talking gaping wounds, mostly knife nicks to the fingers.
    Stops the bleeding.

sticks65

Quote Originally Posted by Trekon86 View Post
    I have this stuff called liquid skin or second skin or some such...works well but tends to wash out of the wound too easily.
    I often use a two layered approach: wash wound, fill wound with tincture of iodine, dab off with clean cloth, and then "stitch" the cut in the center *only* with some superglue and then I put a butterfly bandage or some such on it. Works fairly well so far, no terrible, limb-rotting infections despite me working in the (germy) basement with cut-up hands
    PMZ
    Thats what its called ''liquid skin''.not liquid plaster.duhhh

Bushmaster Bush Class Basic Certified tennecedar's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,236 Times in 1,523 Posts

I've never needed anything for small cuts. I don't really bleed. Or bruise for that matter. A small clean knife nick seals up in few seconds. When my Dr checks my blood sugar she has to set the little needle to it's deepest depth then squeeze hard to get a drop of blood to test. For me, anything that bleeds will need sutures to close up the wound. Basically I use a bandaid to keep it clean and let nature take it's course.

LongRider

I've have had to stitch myself up on some fairly deep wounds but as a rule I will clean and tape wounds closed until I can get to an ER. My brother an ER Doc is highly opposed to stitching yourself up or the use of super glue. The biggest issue is infection. He says that if you have not completely sterilized the wound you run the risk creating a life threatening infection. So a good scrub some blood clotting agent for bleeders and compression is the ideal way to go. BTW if you are not screaming you are not cleaning it out well enough. After you are done let it bleed a bit (assuming you are not going into shock from blood loss) that is the bodys way of cleaning itself out than use blood clot and compression.

Current on Tetanus. Supporter
    Vendor
    Thanks

Howdy,

I spent my youth climbing, so I had a three part solution for sliced fingers and flappers. I carried a tube of Krazy Glue, folded duct tape and several sugar packets in my chalk bag. I would clean the cut as best as possible. Then I poured sugar directly in. I would glue around the edges of the wound,tamp the empty packet in place, and trim the excess. Two or three wraps with the tape would protect the area, and I could continue.

Now that I'm older with soft fingers, I whine to my wife and search out Bandaids.

Kevin
    Institutio postulo novus informatio supersto
    Proudly monkeying with tradition since 1967.

Thanks

I was advised by a doctor against using commercial super glue.
    For small cuts, leakers or less, I do nothing; if the blood gets annoying I apply a fabric band-aid from my wallet.
    For drippers I apply a fabric band-aid from my wallet.
    For larger slices I use duct tape or whatever is available.

For a while I was a metalworker and unless the cut's a squirter its, usually, just an annoyance (because it forces you to clean the blood off of your work before proceeding to the next item).

Enjoy!

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast