Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Erbswurst

Tracker
    Thanks

Lightbulb Erbswurst

ok so i have been looking for stuff to eat that i can throw in the pack and wont spoil quickly and i stumbled onto this stuff called erbswurst. its basicly a dehydrated pea soup you just add to boiling water and stir. it sounds good but im haveing truble finding anyplace that has the stuff for sale.
    also i was woundering if anybody eles has tryed it and if so what you may have thought abought it.

an interesting link abought this stuff http://www.theausteritykitchen.com/2...erbswurst.html

Guide
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ok so i have been looking for stuff to eat that i can throw in the pack and wont spoil quickly and i stumbled onto this stuff called erbswurst. its basicly a dehydrated pea soup you just add to boiling water and stir. it sounds good but im haveing truble finding anyplace that has the stuff for sale....
    Horace Kephart described and recommended this "pea sausage" in the Woodcraft half of his book Camping and Woodcraft. In my 1922 edition, it's on page 157. He says it was the german Army's "iron ration" during the Franco-Prussian War. It was provided in a stiff rod shape, wrapped in paper.

I made some once. I made some pea soup with bacon bits in it, then dried it on a sheet in my dehydrator. It turned out pretty well. If I dried it thoroughly, it would shatter when I tried to roll it up, but I vacuum-packed the pieces and they kept well for five years.

I don't see anything like this available today from the standard storage-food sources like Emergency Essentials and Nitro-Pak. Besides, those places are buried under an unprecedented avalanche of orders right now, because of the increasing uncertainties at home and abroad.

Tracker
    Thanks

its sounds like its basically a split pea soup type thing

it be possibly to find alternative bases at the grocery store and embellish pretty easy

could be made rather hearty =) just beware of finding a large deposit of natural gas near your campsite after.......

Cookpot Hoarder Supporter Spork's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,556 Times in 1,031 Posts

Looks like you could get it shipped over - GermanShop24

The shipping looks reasonable...less than $10 for up to 2kg
    Dave

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spork For This Useful Post:

Hardwood Plainsman Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,665 Times in 4,191 Posts
    Items for Sale

Foound a video of a guy using it, but it's in german!

YouTube - Erbswurst

And now I want to try some!
    Skab Leatherworks Subforum

Blog

Tracker Pack#10

Cookpot Hoarder Supporter Spork's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,556 Times in 1,031 Posts

We need to locate some Hartkeks and Speck (hardtack and bacon) to make a Prussian Iron ration meal
    Dave

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spork View Post
    We need to locate some Hartkeks and Speck (hardtack and bacon) to make a Prussian Iron ration meal
    I have to say that i agree!!! and i have already made my own hard tack and cured my own bacon!!!!

Woods Bum Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,126 Times in 3,911 Posts

you can make it yourself, it just won't be in a little hard brick like the real stuff.

get a can of navy beans and dehydrate them. either run them through a blender or food chopper, or crush them with a rolling pin. the resulting powder lasts, as mentioned, just about forever. i made a big batch of it and keep it in a container on my camping food shelf (that cabinet over the fridge that my wife can't ever reach, so it was loaned to me).

when it's time to go, i take about 3 tablespoonsful and put them in another smaller container (i like parmesan cheese containers for this, the small ones). i also add about a tsp of salt and another of bacon bits. this will make about a pint of good soup. just boil it for about 20 minutes. as kephart said, you can't screw it up except by leaving it to burn. just stir it every once in a while.

yes, very much like split pea soup.
    "Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you." John Muir

Scout
    Thanks

I emailed Knorr, and they told me their brand wasn't available in North America. Too bad, as it sounds great.

BB

Thanks

These guys, who mostly deal in repro WW2 rations for the reenactor crowd, sell it here in the US. I've been wanting to try the stuff for a while and that's the only US distributor I've located (I haven't gotten around to ordering any yet).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast