Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The best frying pan

Thanks

Default The best frying pan

I decided to day after trying to fry up some bannock that I need a good frying pan that's packable. What do you suggest?

I"m not too keen on teflon coatings because once they scratch then your stuff becomes junk but does anyone have any experience with the teflon coated "backpacker" sets? How durable is it?

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified DCP's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,802 Times in 837 Posts

Here is the one I recommend:
    http://www.amazon.com/standsbyriver-...=2VL6GX1G6U327

It is an iron skillet, better than most of the cheap alum ones and doesn't weigh anywhere near the cast iron ones. The handle folds and they make a smaller 6" one too. The weight isn't that bad. I seasoned mine and have used it once so far and was more than happy.

I know a few people here have one and they love it is well.

Banned Member
    Thanks

I'll say again banks fry bake http://frybake.com/

they dont give them away. Doesn't nest with other stuff.

works like a charm.

Thanks

I'll second the Banks Frybake. Bakes like a dutch oven (coals under/twig fire on top). Frys well because it distributes heat very well. Love mine!!!!

Guide
    Thanks

I prefer a cheapo teflon coated aluminum full sized fry pan. I just don't use metal objects on it and it stays good forever and is real easy to clean in the field. Space isn't a concern as it's fairly flat and packs real well inside my MOLLE assault pack and in my small NIKE day pack, lol. being aluminum it has hardly any weight. It might not have the bushcraft aesthetic appeal, but it certainly performs the task of bushcrafting.

Thanks

I actually carry different pans depending on what my gut tells me to take before I leave. I have a small but still substantial cast iron skillet I take sometimes. It was my Mother's and the only thing of her's I have. It's a 9" and I have cooked all kinds of things in it on coals, on a pot stand over a stove or Coleman or other camping stove.
    My favorite pan to take is an old restaurant small saute pan. you can get them for free when a restaurant changes over to new. You just have to ask. They have seen a lot of use and the bottoms will be a mess, usually; but if you're a little lucky the non stick cooking surface will be in good shape. As your going to use it over direct heat sources the caked on gunk isn't that big a deal; but a little elbow grease, some oven cleaner and a bead blasting by your mecahnic friend can get it looking new. That pan has made more oatmeal, eggs and grilled sandwiches than I can count in the last 5 years since I got it. I also have an old mess kit that has the skillet and billy pot I just got and will be trying on a day trip soon. I had one just like it when I was a boy scout and I remember it worked reasonably well back then.
    For bannock I would go with my well seasoned cast iron skillet or my dutch oven which I don't take in a pack. I feel the quality and versatility of a good cast iron skillet, especially one with a lid make the weight bearable.

Recluse at Heart Supporter PMSteve's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,069 Times in 1,889 Posts

I'm into multiple use products so I still use what my Dad taught me when I was a kid. He said he used it all the time in Korea and the pacific during WWII.

I use the spade of an old GI E-tool. Clean by scouring with sand and water (clean or burn off any paint first) oil it up and sit it in the coals with the spade/handle bent at 90* and fry away. Easy to remove from the coals when you're done cooking - also, you don't have to clean it again before digging!
    Ula's Liver Transplant Fund: http://gfwd.at/1nH6mjd

For a Laugh, Check out my Blog: www.guideforgeezers.blogspot.com

Thanks

i recommend an MSR alpine style cookset. it comes with 2 pots that nest, an interchangeable lid for both pots. the lid acts as a fying pan when used on its' own. stainless steel. pretty lightweight, and rounded sidewalls for easy cleanup. NO TEFLON HERE!

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-321100-Alp.../dp/B000FBWSRM

i've used mine for over 10 years, and love it. most of the time i only take 1 pot and lid with me. my whisperlight stove packs inside my pots securely.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,426 Times in 1,211 Posts

I've never had a problem with using non-stick cookware over a fire, if it's a cook fire and not a bonfire!
    I won't use Teflon coated, or T-fal pans, but the type that have an annealed surface hold up just fine, even with metal utensils.

Scout
    Thanks

I have an old 5" stamped steel job with a socket for an extemporized handle. It's old, can't remember where I found it, but it works very well. It's even seasoned. One idea for finding one similar is to google around the sites that sell to the buckskinner crowd such as Crazy Crow and the like. Beats hell outa aluminum or any of the new chemical coated ones, although I've heard of a new coating on big stuff made out of ceramic, which would be non-toxic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast