Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inside My Teepee

Thanks

Woodsman, how well does the fire draft? Does the area feel up w/ smoke? Thanks for another great post!

Overwatch Moderator Vendor IA Woodsman's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,716 Times in 2,457 Posts

Ya know, it drafts ok. I think I'm going to get a few cheap tarps for a liner, and retie the bottom of the tepee so there is about a 4" gap between the it and the ground. Right now I'm using the door to control the draft, but in the winter that won't be so good. I'll repost when I get it done.

Guide
    Thanks

Default Tipi draft

In the book "Mystic warriors of the plains" by Thomas E.mails there is a chapter explaining the setting up of the tipi and how to create a draft using sod. It has been a while since I looked at that book (20 years or more) but there is some good tipi info in there. This book is out of print now but could possible be located at

www.alibris.com

Also in a traditional tipi the draft is regulated by the flaps.Another excellent book on the subject is "The indian Tipi" By: Reginald and Gladis Laubin.

you could also contact "Mountain" Mel Deweese of Nature Knowledge in Colorado. He set up all of the parachute tipis used at the Rabbit stick Rendezvous in Idaho web address is:

http://www.youwillsurvive.com/index.htmhis

I hope this info helps.

tomahawk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12