Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: glock 19 or ruger gp100

Tracker
    Thanks

I see alot of people saying this revolver is a good woods bumming gun and alot saying it is to big/heavy for everyday carry. When I am in the woods I end up doing more physical activity than when I am in town. So it just makes me wonder about the weight,,, concealing it I don't think will be a problem but may take more thought to do so.

Scout
    Thanks

Default glock

Shortly I will be picking up an Glock 19 or an HK2000. I think its going to be difficult best your Glock 19. You already own the best tool you can carry in your woods or in town. Great tool.

Thanks

I carry my Glock 27 for both CCW and woods carry. I change the bullets though, in the woods I switch to FMJ and around town it JHP.

Thanks
    Thanked 31,828 Times in 9,098 Posts

From my experience a .357 revolver, using 158 grain SWC or HP loads, is a much better round on small and medium game than a 9mm with 115 FMJ or even 125 HP loads.

The revolver can be used with light 38 spl. loads for rabbit and squirrel shooting, with snake loads where desired, and with heavier magnum loads is capable of taking a deer at reasonable pistol ranges, given a good shooter.

The 9mm. round is a bit less versatile. It's main advantage is having a lot of rounds in the magazine. Absent a fire fight , I cannot see needing more than 6 shots in any real hurry.YMMV.
    Nemo me impune lacessit ! Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    Turley Knife Club #59

Scout
    Thanks

Default glock

When I think of modern ligtweight hi capacity mags I don't think of the ability of firefights or throwing lotsa lead in front of me. Rather, to me hi cap mags are nothing more than clean and efficient ammo containers. Just a unit of storage. You can shoot one or two rounds out of the Glock and then reholster just like the old revolver.

Ammunition storage in the handgun itself is one of the advantages of an lightweight hi cap pistol like the Glock 19. You don't need to carry an box of ammo or rounds banging around in your pockets. The pistol alone holds 15 rounds and has them where they should be. If one wants to carry an extra mag or two, fine, as they efficiently hold ammo in an small space, are easily deployed and take up little room.

Another development that makes an Glock really an good choice these day happens to be the huge support and aftermarket goods availible for them. Advantage Arms is one company that offers an 22lr kit for the Glock 19. Small game. Cheap to shoot with an carry gun platform.

What a winner! An proven hi capacity/lightweight pistol that can also be outfitted to shoot much more affordable 22lr.

Now that is cool. Very cool.

Thanks
    Thanked 31,828 Times in 9,098 Posts

I can certainly agree that a Glock 17 or 19 in 9mm is a fine hi cap semi auto. I carry a Glock 45 cal. for duty these days.

The ammo capacity though, waqs developed particularly in view of tactical needs in a gunfight. It may store a lot of ammo, but that is only a major advantage if you are going to need a lot of ammo.

The revolver carrying 6 rounds, on your belt, is adequate for all the tasks a bushcrafter / camper will ever use it for, unless you end up in a firefight with a whole gang of marijuana growers.

I prefer to have a box of ammo, with some special purpose rounds (snake shot, wad cutters, and hollow points) stored in my pack. The weight carries better there than on my belt. (I am VERY aware of belt weight, from day to day experience.)

One other minor advantage- again, for me- is that I like a 357 caliber rifle for a lightweight shoulder arm in the off season, and the commonality of ammo is helpful.
    This obviously will not matter to many, but is worth keeping in mind if you plan to get a 357 carbine at some point.
    Nemo me impune lacessit ! Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    Turley Knife Club #59

Banned Member Hobbyist
    Thanks

I carry a Glock 26 daily. 10 round mag with a GAP ENterprises base plate rides in the gun. I then carry 1 or 2 G17 mags for reloads. Once it is in my hand I am not worried about concealment.

Not long ago I picked up a new slide and a couple of barrels, one in.40 and one in 357 Sig. These give me great versatility but I can shot the 9 when I want to for economy.

The 357 in the Glock is a powerful round. This capability make the Glock ahands down winner!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GreyOne View Post
    I can certainly agree that a Glock 17 or 19 in 9mm is a fine hi cap semi auto. I carry a Glock 45 cal. for duty these days.

The ammo capacity though, waqs developed particularly in view of tactical needs in a gunfight. It may store a lot of ammo, but that is only a major advantage if you are going to need a lot of ammo.

The revolver carrying 6 rounds, on your belt, is adequate for all the tasks a bushcrafter / camper will ever use it for, unless you end up in a firefight with a whole gang of marijuana growers.

I prefer to have a box of ammo, with some special purpose rounds (snake shot, wad cutters, and hollow points) stored in my pack. The weight carries better there than on my belt. (I am VERY aware of belt weight, from day to day experience.)

One other minor advantage- again, for me- is that I like a 357 caliber rifle for a lightweight shoulder arm in the off season, and the commonality of ammo is helpful.
    This obviously will not matter to many, but is worth keeping in mind if you plan to get a 357 carbine at some point.
    While it was for tactical purposes to have Hi-cap mags, they are also nice for bumming around the bush. A loaded Glock 19 with 16 rounds weighs about 30 oz. compared to a Ruger SP101 (3" bbl) which weighs 27 oz. empty. Loaded with 5 rounds the SP101 would be considered an equivalent weight to a G19 with 16 rounds. Additional weight savings should be considered in that no additional items are needed to carry the additional rounds the G19 has over the SP101 such as speed loaders, speed clips, boxes, etc. To carry a basic load let's say 16 rounds for the G19 and 15 rounds for the SP101 (shouldn't need anymore than this unless faced with gangsta rabbits), the G19 appears to come out on top.

I also don't necessarily buy into the special rounds thing. Example: you're walking down the path, you see a snake, you stop, draw your revolver, take off your pack, dig out the bullets, unload your revolver, reload your revolver, and shoot the snake. Same could be said if you had snake shot and a bear shows up. I tend to carry one round type in my pistol/revolver and use it like it is.

I do agree about the carbine thing though. My revolver is a .44 mag and I have a Marlin 1894 in .44 that goes along with it. It is a nice combo and it is my other woods bumming handgun. I like it because it is fun to shoot and fully capable. While there are 9mm rifles around they are not as common and are often a little more pricey than .44/.357 carbines are. My .44's both shoot the same ammo, a 240 gr JSP. My Glock 27 in the woods sports 180gr FMJ and on the street 180gr JHP.

Depending on where I am going and what I am doing will determine whether I carry my G27 (.40 S&W) or my .44 Ruger. Overall the Glock sees a lot more carry time as it is also my EDC.

It really is personal preference and I am sure that like me we often have several choices as to what we are going to carry each day.

Scout
    Thanks

I am someone who is completely satisfied with what a wheel gun has to offer.
    I have a blued 6inch Ruger GP100 that has been my woods gun and I wouldn't trade it for anything. (Well, except for a stainless one with a 4 inch barrel, for practicalities sake).
    It rarely feels to heavy, and like the versatility of .357/.38/snake shot.

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mertmcg View Post
    I see alot of people saying this revolver is a good woods bumming gun and alot saying it is to big/heavy for everyday carry. When I am in the woods I end up doing more physical activity than when I am in town. So it just makes me wonder about the weight,,, concealing it I don't think will be a problem but may take more thought to do so.
    I carry a .357 mag revolver every day. I guess after over 40 + years, the weight just is natural.

If weight is a prob. for you then I would think about the SP101 3" but not having "good sights" ( fixed ramp ) & the grips, it as the best "field gun ?? weighs 27 oz

Unloaded weight
    GP100 (4") = 40 oz
    S&W 66 (4" K frame.) 36 oz
    S&W 686 (4" L frame ) 38 oz

Thoughts on carry -

CCW - I carry both my "66" & SP101 in a "custom IBW" ( made to place the cylender above my "hip bone" Below is a pic ( note is with a Kilt, so the "belt straps are longer than those worn with my pants )

Field Wear = always OBW
    SP101,66,686 = a good Belt holster
    .44 mag, = "chest rig."
    Ammo = "Speed Strips" ( load out depends on what I am doing - Idea = 1 loaded with .357 mag. 1 with .38 spl. 1 with "shot" ) carry in a belt pouch.
    BTW, usually use for CCW, as after all these years, I can "reload" as fast as I can with my "speed loaders" + they are easier to carry, IMO.

Sorry, but IMO, for "Field use" a 9mm semi just does not cut it. Unless you are "fighting BGs" then not versatile enough.

Puffer

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast