Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade powdered eggs - a review

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,421 Times in 1,208 Posts

Default Homemade powdered eggs - a review

This could just as easily gone in the 'preparedness' section.
    Sorry, no pictures this time.

Over the past 3-4 days, I've been experimenting with making my own powdered eggs. After some consideration, I decided to use the raw egg method because I wanted egg powder, not reconstituted scrambled eggs.

I started out with 4 dozen eggs. I whipped them up just as I would to cook scrambled eggs. I have the equivalent of a Garden Master food dehydrator with a thermostat control. I also have the 'fruit roll up tray liners' that come with the machine.

It turned out that 1 dozen scrambled eggs would exactly fill one tray. I took the four filled trays and turned the dehydrator up to 165 F to kill any nasties in the raw eggs. I left them at 165 F for about 3 hours. At that point, I turned it down to 115 F and dried the trays for about 18 hours. When I checked them, they were still a little oily, so I let them go for another 6 hours.

After they were dried, I crumbled them into a blender. I have a Vita-Mix blender that I use to grind wheat, rice and barley flour. It has a pulse capability, and a "reverse" setting on it. I ground up the eggs the same way I would whole grains, by pulsing the blades, and reversing them each time. I didn't want to just turn it on and let it go, because the heat generated by the friction with the blades could 'cook' the eggs. The ratio turned out to be 2 parts egg powder, 3 parts water.

Out of 4 dozen eggs, I ended up with 1 quart of product, about the consistency of corn meal. Now for the test!

I reconstituted the eggs in warm water. I wanted them the runny, like thin pancake batter. The tendency is to use too little water, but think about how 'runny' a fresh egg is. I let them rehydrate for about 15 minutes, and then added a splash more water. They looked surprisingly like whipped, fresh eggs.

I poured them into a hot skillet and stirred them as they cooked. Whoa! They LOOKED like scrambled eggs. Taste test. Whoa! They even TASTED like scrambled eggs! Full flavor, and a whole lot better than any commercial powdered eggs I've ever eaten, including Egg Beaters.

The experiment was a success, and I have another 8 dozen scheduled for the same treatment. I would say the secret for frying powdered eggs is to get the mixture thin enough, whip a bunch of air into it with a fork, or whisk, and stir them in the pan. If you just plop in a glob of thick paste, you're gonna get an egg pancake that doesn't taste like either eggs, or pancakes.

FWIW.....YMMV.

Plains Woman

Wow, I need to get a dehydrator! I am currently overrun with eggs (as it sounds like you are). It never would have occurred to me in a million years to do this. Very cool!

Guide
    Thanks

Have you eaten Egg Beaters for comparison OP? Thanks for sharing your experimentation, I may have to give it a try as well. Did you find that the fan from the dehydrator "splashed" the egg at all?

Guide
    Thanks

You and I must be thinking the same thing on eggs OP. I read that most are freeze dried and was going to put my machine into the freezer and run it with scrambled (not cooked eggs) in the trays.

Will you still play it safe and keep your dried eggs in a freezer environment until wanting to use?

Have you tried using your eggs in baking? Like a cake mix for instance? Or a bread mix requiring eggs?

I'm anxious to see how more of your experiments work.

Marsh.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,421 Times in 1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bucketosudz View Post
    Have you eaten Egg Beaters for comparison OP? Thanks for sharing your experimentation, I may have to give it a try as well. Did you find that the fan from the dehydrator "splashed" the egg at all?
    That's why I referenced Egg Beaters in my OP. These are better.
    The way these better quality round dehydrators are designed, the air flows across the trays. That's why you can use the nylon 'roll up' trays, because the air doesn't need to blow up through the product. I've consistently dried herbs as fine a thyme, and the product doesn't blow around at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh View Post
    You and I must be thinking the same thing on eggs OP. I read that most are freeze dried and was going to put my machine into the freezer and run it with scrambled (not cooked eggs) in the trays.
    That would be something to see! ROFL!

Will you still play it safe and keep your dried eggs in a freezer environment until wanting to use?
    I vacuum sealed this first batch in a Mason jar and will leave it on the shelf. I'll freeze the rest I powder, until I get an idea of the shelf life. Dried and vacuumed, I expect they'll be good for a year, or more.

Have you tried using your eggs in baking? Like a cake mix for instance? Or a bread mix requiring eggs?
    Not yet. I just finished them today. SWMBO get's to try them for cooking/baking! BTW, it's 2 Tbs powder = 1 whole egg.

I'm anxious to see how more of your experiments work.

Marsh.

Low man on the totem pole Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,350 Times in 722 Posts

Very interesting post / experiment man. Thanks.

Thanks

Wow and my wife has been begging me for a food dehydrator. Thanks for the post!

Woods Bum Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,405 Times in 4,374 Posts

Just want to add a little bit on 'shelf life'.

i did this back on January 15th. I put them in an old vitamin/supplement bottle and stuck them in the cabinet over the fridge (the one my wife can't reach, and where she lets me keep my camping food, cooking gear, and experiments like this one!) 3 months later, they still smell fine and have not (as far as my nose can tell) gone bad.
    "Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you." John Muir

DancesWithaTrout

I still have nightmares of green eggs from when I was in the service and eating C-Rats and LRRPs....... Brrrrrrrrrrrrr-Shiver-hack-hack.......

As long as they stay yellow or white, I am good......

Thanks

Thanks OP for doing the experiment and sharing it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast