Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick hike, poncho tarp setup, fire prep

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,871 Times in 938 Posts

Default Quick hike, poncho tarp setup, fire prep

I went for a quick hike this afternoon/evening, planning to do some bushcrafting. I called it a night early, evidently the local teenagers use the same chunk of wooded area as a hangout. Once a half a dozen teenage kids were shouting and traipsing around where I had set up, I decided to bail and head home.

On the way in I spotted some scat and what looked like fur of some kind, not sure what it goes with. Anyone recognize these and know what they came from? My guess is the hair is from a deer, but not sure about the scat:

There was tons of trash in the woods, unfortunately. Lots of water bottles (even one that was at least 2/3 full), energy drinks, and beer cans - even one old empty can of Zippo fluid. I also found various assorted junk ranging from paintball gear to large metal industrial parts. Despite the signage of no hunting/trapping, I did see some hunter's trail markers, though it was hard to tell just how old they were. One interesting find, a shovel head without a handle, looks like it probably bent and broke the handle loose:

I found some old tires set up in some sort of lounge area:

Obviously this must be a regular hangout spot, looked like there are some old firepits, and there's items of clothing and all sorts of stuff left behind. A little further over, I found this interesting lean-to setup:

I hiked a little further over to a suitable spot and decided to try setting up my poncho as a tarp and maybe knock out a few of the Bushclass homework assignments. I found a sapling in a handy curve and decided to try using it as an arch support for a poncho lean-to, with the center/hood pulled out and tied off to a tree branch with a taut-line hitch. The two "ground" ends are staked in with some quick stakes I carved out of broken branches:

I tucked my gear in and collected enough prep for the twig fire assignment as some practice:

Just as I finished that I heard voices and snapping twigs, shortly followed by spotting a couple teenagers stalking through the woods. A moment or two later there was more noise and shouting... I have no idea if the kids were playing a game or just screwing around or what but I figured it was a good time to pack up and head home for the day. I'm sure they were utterly baffled what the hell some guy was doing out there with a pack full of gear hanging out under camo tarp in the middle of the woods

Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to relax and get done some of the other bushclass homework or test out my ESEE-6 like I was hoping, but I'll try and get to both sometime soon.

-Jay
    "It is one of the blessings of wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy." --Kephart

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified dwightp's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 377 Posts

I think you stumbled across a Sasquatch camp. You are lucky you weren't eaten.

Guide Supporter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dwightp View Post
    I think you stumbled across a Sasquatch camp. You are lucky you weren't eaten.
    I hadn't thought of that, good thing I left when I did!
    "It is one of the blessings of wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy." --Kephart

Thanks

Dam kids...sweet setup though! Gotta admit in my formative years, i would been there...good that you got out at least...

Guide Supporter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by natureboy68 View Post
    Dam kids...sweet setup though! Gotta admit in my formative years, i would been there...good that you got out at least...
    Yep, when I was a kid I spent countless hours wandering the woods around the apt we lived in. Can't really blame the local kids for hanging out in the woods, though I wish they didn't leave so much garbage behind.

Guess I need to scope out a new spot for next time

Bushmaster
    Thanks

really nice to see the different poncho set up - thanks!

congrats on getting out!

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified greyhound352's Avatar
    Thanks

Glad to see you still got to practice some homework skills before departing.

Thanks

Thanks for taking us along!

Thanks

Inovative use of that sapling!

Guide Supporter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hughhaff View Post
    Inovative use of that sapling!
    Thanks

I had my 8x10 tarp with me also... if I'd had more time it would have been cool to try that. A larger tarp would have enabled me to add some side protection in a half dome shape.

There was another spot with a couple fallen trees in a staggered arrangement that would have made an awesome shelter with a tarp or poncho thrown over the top. It was pretty near the "lounge" and lean-to I spotted, so I walked a bit farther away to set up instead. Might go back and check it out sometime later though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast