Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apache Throwing Star Build & Testing (pic heavy)

Tracker
    Thanks

Default Apache Throwing Star Build & Testing (pic heavy)

I recently tried building an Apache throwing star for the first time. It was one of the first primitive tools that I learned about on this forum. Its sheer simplicity meant that it was something I could gather materials for, construct, and test all in my backyard, so I was convinced to give it a go. Here's a picture of the finished result, along with one of the ill-fated targets!

Since cutting up the trees in my backyard was a no-no, and no pieces of firewood were in the right dimensions, I was forced to settle on a thick vine/root from the vegetation that covers our property wall. I cut off the straightest portions.

The throwing star was very easy to make. I sharpened the edges to a point, whittled down the rough edges as best I could, cut some rough notches in both pieces where they would be lashed together, and then secured the whole thing with some tightly wrapped cord. I skipped using paracord just so I wouldn't have to waste any on a casual experiment. Point to point, the star was approximately 16 inches across both ways. The wood was still pretty soft, so I waited a few days for it to harden. It was nice and resilient at testing time.

My targets. The volleyball net served as a good backdrop and prevented the throwing star from cartwheeling away to the other side of the yard, which happened often when I threw it at the ground targets.

After a few misses and glances, I connected. I was throwing in an overhand fashion at this target.

Another solid hit. The cord is becoming unwrapped here, but the fault lies with me. I thought I would try to salvage the cord afterward so I didn't tie it down thoroughly.

After taking enough beating/pummeling/impaling, the first cardboard target broke and fell to the ground. I then moved onto the watermelon!

Some good hits on the watermelon nemesis!

The watermelon took a lot of frustrating glancing blows

With the watermelon, I was throwing the star in a side-hand fashion (so the star would fly horizontally). I found that throwing overhand would often result in the star landing either too early or late, and it would cartwheel away, well past the target. It was considerably harder connecting with the watermelon than with the cardboard target. Although I'm sure it's been used for both, I would see the Apache throwing star being used in warfare more effectively than being used to hunt game. I surmise that a throwing/rabbit stick would be more appropriate for game acquisition.

To compare the throwing star's damage against that of a throwing stick's, I summoned a slightly curved piece of firewood (I don't have the proper-length wood to build my own throwing sticks, but I'll definitely get my hands on some in the future). When I did manage to connect, the throwing stick substitute hit the target with substantially more force. Here's the target after just a couple solid hits.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 719 Posts

Cool! Any plans to try these on rabbits?

Bushmaster
    Thanks

I played first base for my whole career...largely because I was tall and lefty...
    but from that I never developed much of an arm, lol.

thanks for sharing - it's a great project!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 478 Posts

There was a western movie when I was a kid were the main character took a rabbit with one of these from horse back. Wish I could remember what that movie was and link to it. Good build and thanks for the review. I'm pretty sure I will be making one in the next few days
    You got to keep the glass half full!!!!!!

Guide
    Thanks

Marlon Brando in The Missouri Breaks

Scout
    Thanks

I forgot about these thanks for reminding me. I think they are a great fast field expedient weapon to have.

Elder Bush Class Basic Certified
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 37,182 Times in 10,047 Posts

Very cool post
    Nie pogrywaj ze mna

Thanks
    Thanked 5,971 Times in 1,817 Posts

Pretty damn slick!

I gotta make a few of these now!

Bushmaster Supporter Mtnfolk Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,910 Times in 2,173 Posts

right on.. great stuff...
    >>>---LIFE IS A KNIFE---->

Guide
    Thanks

I have made a few of these, but I have not gotten them to stick as yet. Like all things, practice, practice, practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast