Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Steel Master Hunter Carbon V

Proud Pennsylvanian! Supporter Bill Cox's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,064 Times in 1,050 Posts

Default Cold Steel Master Hunter Carbon V

I recently got a few knives and one of the is a Cold Steel Master Hunter Carbon V. I have only tried the knife out 2 times so far, and it is amazing. Its so lightweight and yet very sturdy. It has a full flat grind and it came razor sharp. Anubis hit it on the head when he said its pretty much an affordable Fallkniven F1. The only issues I had with the knife are the sheath and the fact that it doesnt throw sparks well from the spine of the knife. I love the Kraton handle, its my favorite handle material.

Thanks Bill

YouTube - Cold Steel Master Hunter Carbon V Review

Its pictured with a SDS Camper for comparison.

Domari Nolo
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon
    Pa Bushcraft - www.youtube.com/pabushcraft
    BCUSA Bushcraft Area Database http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70617

Bushmaster
    Thanks

got myself into a basic, used F-1 recently via some trades - it's quite possibly the perfect (production) woods knife for me.

can see where that CS is just SO much like the F-1 - that's gotta be very cool!
    I bet a file would on the spine would help square that off a bit for the firesteel - maybe?

congrats on your find, Bill - heck on both the blades!
    Last edited by solocanoe; 05-11-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Proud Pennsylvanian! Supporter Bill Cox's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,064 Times in 1,050 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by solocanoe View Post
    got myself into a basic, used F-1 recently via some trades - it's quite possibly the perfect (production) woods knife for me.

can see where that CS is just SO much like the F-1 - that's gotta be very cool!
    I bet a file would on the spine would help square that off a bit for the firesteel - maybe?

congrats on your find, Bill - heck on both the blades!

The spine is flat and you can feel a good bur on the side to throw the sparks it just wont, im gonna try the file tomorrow though, thanks for the idea.

Thanks Bill
    Domari Nolo
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon
    Pa Bushcraft - www.youtube.com/pabushcraft
    BCUSA Bushcraft Area Database http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70617

Thanks

Hi Bill,

Many years ago, famed professional hunter and author (he worked for Guns & Ammo Magazine, too), Ross Seyfried did a lengthy magazine review on the carbon Master Hunter. He used the knife all over the world, on a variety of game, and rated the knife quite highly in his writings. After Seyfried's first article on the knife, the Cold Steel Master Hunter started popping up all over the place and the retailers were having a hard time keeping the knife in stock. Four of the six guys I elk and moose hunted with at the time, purchased the Master Hunter and those same four highly experienced and successful hunters STILL use the same knives after all these years (over 20 years, I'm guessing).

I have both the carbon and stainless version of the Master Hunter in my collection and have found the knife, in the past, very useful on larger game. IMHO, the knife is too big and too thick for deer and smaller game, though some will use the knife for such and seem to be content. Though the knife was designed as a "hunting" knife, its general characteristics lend itself well to some camp chores (a bit thick for the camp kitchen). Yes, my big hand finds the handle very comfortable, too. By all means, ditch that sheath!

Thanks

I had one myself. I took it hunting everytime I went. It was used to dress out 7 wild boars in one day and could still shave the hair off my arm. Unfortunately it was one of the items stolen from my storage unit. Everytime I see one on eBay it goes for a price way out of my league. You're going to love it more the longer you own it.

Scout
    Thanks

I have a couple just like that and use them for hunting. The knife was made by Camillus from 50100-B or 0170-6 (same steel). They are seconds just like yours and cost $25. You can tell by the 2 burned into the pommel. I could not find anything wrong with mine. Enjoy, they are very nice knives.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 1,748 Posts

That really does look like the Fallkniven!

Interesting!?!

Thanks

Great blade great steel.....one of the few blades( commercial ) out there that you will constantly see good feedback on.

Scout
    Thanks

Nice lookin knife. Cold Steel makes good pieces. I've been using a canadien belt knife for year on deer, rabbits, squirrels, etc.

Most under rated knife out there IMO.

The thing I like the most is they make a knife that does have some flex in it. Makes them perfect for boning and skinning.

Thanks

That's a great knife. I sprung for one of the new san-mai aus8 ones recently and it seems to be performing well so far. I call it the " poor mans' F1" I got mine for about $60 less than what F1's are going for round here.

I've had no issues with edge chipping, rolling, or anything else. That said , I wish I scored the carbon 5 one when I had the chance. But this one's pretty good. no complaints here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast