Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Point Blankets...anyone have one?

Thanks

Default Point Blankets...anyone have one?

There is a local that is selling his Early's Witney 4 Point blanket for $110 and I was wondering how it compared to a genuine Hudson Bay or a surplus blanket. I was wondering if anyone had either one of the point blankets and how you like them?

I do have two 100% wool Italian surplus blankets that are very nice but they seem to be not as thick as the point blankets. I had to boil them and stick it in the dryer in high heat setting so that they would shrink and bulk up the nap.
    Last edited by Antig; 05-17-2011 at 03:41 AM.

Thanks

I have a Whitney 6 point that I love

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo37 View Post
    I have a Whitney 6 point that I love
    Do you know if it is thicker than a surplus blanket?

Scout
    Thanks

Early's of Whitney made excellent quality wool blankets for 100s of years. Sadly they no longer make blankets. A few years ago you could buy a new Earlys of Whitney 4 point blanket for around 160.00. Their blankets are of excellent quality in my opnion. 110.00 sounds like a fair (not great) price if it is in decent condition. Early's of Whitney blankets are getting somewhat hard (not impossible) to find.

DancesWithaTrout

I would go with a Whitney in a heart beat, I have 3-4 point, 2-6 point and one Hudson Bay Beaver Tail 5 dot blankets and they will all keep you warm when nothing else will.......

DancesWithaTrout

They are far thicker than the euro military blankets.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DancesWithaTrout View Post
    They are far thicker than the euro military blankets.....
    That's what I wanted to hear! Thanks.

Scout
    Thanks

I own several Early's of Whitney blankets. Wish I could purchase more but as brian posted, they are sadly no more. I was shocked to discover this lamentable state of affairs last year, yet another case of my infernal luck. If I purchase a product and happen to admire greatly, I need to buy two or three for backup as quickly as possible 'cause sure a h#!! it will be discontinued soon. Such is my curse!

It may be heresy to some to write this, but I have always felt that a Whitney was a better made blanket than a Hudsons Bay, and I have had the opportunity to examine dozens of both brands on the rondyvoo circuit.

$110 is a good price, not a steal but as others have written the price was about $160 a few years back. Quality is MUCH better than any surplus army balnket, bar none.

If you want to consider other blankets in the future, search for deals on Pendeltons as well. Best quality blankets also......

Seans fortified compound via carrier pigeon
    Thanks

i have a 5 point, and also what they call a buffalo rug it is a shrunk(tighter weave) 5 point. I use them year round.

wolfy

The Hudson's Bay Company actually contracted with Witney to build their blankets for many years. Witney is now toast.....wish I'd bought more of them. They're top notch!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast