Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Point Blankets...anyone have one?

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    The Hudson's Bay Company actually contracted with Witney to build their blankets for many years. Witney is now toast.....wish I'd bought more of them. They're top notch!
    Did not know this! The colors and weave of the Early's blankets always seemed different to me. The colors were less "artificial" in appearance compared to a Hudsons Bay, and the weave somehow feels denser.

Do you suppose the blankets were built to different standards?

Thanks

I just picked up the blanket today but the label is no longer there so I have no idea who the maker is. Nevertheless, it seems nice and thick with fibers much longer than surplus blankets. I washed it in very hot water with a little bit of Tide detergent with hopes that it will shrink it slightly and bulk up the nap. It is now in the dryer and feeling a little gritty, I'm thinking I probably shouldn't have used the detergent.

Scout
    Thanks

I wish I could have responded before you washed your blanket. I washed a 6 point hbc once and it lost most of its nap. If you happen to read this before the dryer cycle finishes, quick go and get it out of there.

I have also heard that Early's, Wiyney's and HBC's were all made by the same outfit. I have two HBC's and an Early's which was retailed by an old chain up here called Woodward's which is now gone.

My personal experience with these blankets is that they are great when new, but they lose their nap pretty quickly and become thinner over time.

For my money, leaving aside the cool historical associations, you're a lot better off with the heavier, tougher European army blankets. Somewhere I was recently reading about Dutch Army blankets which weigh six pounds. That is some serious wool.

As to the Pendletons, I just bought a robe and it cost me a bit over $200. It is a lovely thing, I wanted one for years, but I would certainly not take it camping. I have two Italian army jobs which I paid ten dollars for and they are better blankets when comparing the simple practicalities.

Your mileage may vary but that is my experience with wool blankets.
    Last edited by Strider; 05-17-2011 at 11:05 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    I wish I could have responded before you washed your blanket. I washed a 6 point hbc once and it lost most of its nap. If you happen to read this before the dryer cycle finishes, quick go and get it out of there.

I have also heard that Early's, Wiyney's and HBC's were all made by the same outfit. I have two HBC's and an Early's which was retailed by an old chain up here called Woodward's which is now gone.

My personal experience with these blankets is that they are great when new, but they lose their nap pretty quickly and become thinner over time.

For my money, leaving aside the cool historical associations, you're a lot better off with the heavier, tougher European army blankets. Somewhere I was recently reading about Dutch Army blankets which weigh six pounds. That is some serious wool.

As to the Pendletons, I just bought a robe and it cost me a bit over $200. It is a lovely thing, I wanted one for years, but I would certainly not take it camping. I have two Italian army jobs which I paid ten dollars for and they are better blankets when comparing the simple practicalities.

Your mileage may vary but that is my experience with wool blankets.
    I washed the blanket by hand in steaming hot water so it was fine. Some of the fibers did come off but it was hardly any and partly due to me squeezing the water out.

I set the drying machine on the highest temperature setting on the "very dry" cycle and it seems to have come out fine--very fluffy like a little sheep

I already have some Italian blankets which I find very thin (much like felt). I will try to find some from other European countries as well since surplus blankets are very inexpensive.

Does anyone know how the Pendleton blankets compare? They are definitely much cheaper.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,112 Times in 959 Posts

I love my point blankets, and capotes made from them.
    http://www.sew-it-seams.com/custom/customclothing.html (just a site i found)
    FYI for Point blankets:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson's_Bay_point_blanket

Scout
    Thanks

I think these are the last ones making old-style (real wool, not chemically treated) blankets ANYWHERE:

http://www.macauslandswoollenmills.com/index.html

They are nice, if you can track one down. I need to get some more before it is too late.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to R_W For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have one of these I got off fleabay for 40 bucks, white with red, blue,gold.

http://www.nwtrader.com/hand-woven_e...r_blanket.html

I have one Hudson Bay Brand and a bunch of Eaton's Trapper Point Blankets. All are good quality.

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Antig View Post
    There is a local that is selling his Early's Witney 4 Point blanket for $110 and I was wondering how it compared to a genuine Hudson Bay or a surplus blanket. I was wondering if anyone had either one of the point blankets and how you like them?

I do have two 100% wool Italian surplus blankets that are very nice but they seem to be not as thick as the point blankets. .
    Antig, perhaps this will assist. In the BP/ML community these "blankets" are a "mainstay"

1. As already mentioned, Until recently, Early's Witney was the "prime maker "of HBC's Point blankets.
    2. In my experience no other blanket compares ( including the older Amer. "point blankets', which were smaller & lighter wt.)
    3. What do the "points mean ?? ) - Size & wt. here is a chart-

4. Dating can be ascertained by the Label.

As to value = CONDITION. If in GREAT condition , then a 4 pt. @ $110.00 is a good $$

I own 4 blankets ( 3 4pts & 1 3pt ( used reg on my bed & in the "field") & my Capote is made from a 4pt.

Puffer
    Last edited by Puffer; 05-18-2011 at 04:17 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Puffer For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Pendelton really?
    The HB blankets are way expensive and I have been looking for another, more affordable, brand.
    Fit and finish, thickness how os the Pendelton vs Hudson Bay?

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by laboucan View Post
    Pendelton really?
    The HB blankets are way expensive and I have been looking for another, more affordable, brand.
    Fit and finish, thickness how os the Pendelton vs Hudson Bay?
    The Pendleton's are GREAT blankets BUT a whole lot LIGHTER
    Last edited by Puffer; 05-18-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast