Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercator "Cat Knife" Review

Thanks

Default Mercator "Cat Knife" Review

Saw some talk of this knife in another thread, Irony being what it is I just picked one up a few days ago. Ebay is a great thing. I made a short video. I am no knife reviewer but I thought I would give you all a look at this knife. I really like it, Carbon steel, sprear point, SOLID lock, great knife.

YouTube - ‪Mercator carbon steel folding knife review‬‏

sorry about the box thing again i forgot to turn the ipod sideways again....lol

if you want one this is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/MERCATOR-K55K-BL...item35b248bfbd
    Last edited by Avair; 05-26-2011 at 08:02 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Avair For This Useful Post:

xxo

Thanks

I have one of these too. Great little blade but the handle is too thin IMO - I'll stick with my Buck 342 for EDC.

Scout
    Thanks

Owned one of these about 15 years ago. Bought it from Atlanta Cutlery. Lost it and have yet to replace it. A pretty good performer for a small amount of money. Come to think of it, I sure miss that knife!

Scout
    Thanks

The mercator is one of my favorites. I had one many years ago but it was a stainless steel blade and I could not put a decent edge. The carbon steel one easily takes a razor's edge. I carry mine quite a bit and it disappears in the back pocket. Thanks for the review. This knife deserves some positive press.

Guide
    Thanks

I have know idea how it "SHOULD" be pronounced.

However, I have always heard the famous mapmaker Mercator pronounced

mur KAY tur

Thanks

Nice knife, but I'm not sure I would like the thinness of it. Looks like it would hurt your hand to do some serious work with it. I bought two carbon steel folding knives when I was looking for a folder. A lock blade wasn't high on my list though. I ended up with a Svord Peasant and a Kissing Crane Brown Mule (Sodbuster style). The Svord is my EDC most of the time.

Another carbon steel folder that is a lockback is the the Bear and Son Farmhand.
    http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce...e/BRC337L.html
    Not a bad price either! Bear and Son makes a whole series of different style pocket knives in carbon steel. You might want to check them out.

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,233 Times in 2,114 Posts

I just seen one of these knives for the first time last night. Gonna pick one of these up, really a cool blade.
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters.

Supporter Bush Class Basic Certified borumas's Avatar
    Thanks

They are great knives, my dad has used one as his main carry for about 45 years, got him a stainless steel version a few years ago and got a carbon one for myself awhile back. Always like how flat they are, sit in a pocket nicely without digging into your leg in my opinion.

Scout Supporter
    Thanks

My favorite carry knife for a long time. I have trouble keeping it from rusting in hot weather. I picked up a SOG Slim Jim the other day with high hopes. It's a poor copy of the cat knife that's been produced since 1867

Guide
    Thanks

Worked doing renovations in a bar back around 85-86.

Cops raided the place one night. The local gentry started ditching things under booths and tables. Baggies of weed, pills, and a most interesting assortment of knives.

I came in a few hours later. The dope was pitched, the knives went home with us, and we both took home 3-4. Got a Mercator Cat knife and a good G-96 copy of a Puma Game Warden.

The Mercator was the best knife ever for tucking in a back pocket in with a wallet. Took a fine edge, and easily. Lost it a few years ago.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to A K Church For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast