Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosquito Hawk? Do they really eat mosquitoes?

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified BillCr's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Mosquito Hawk? Do they really eat mosquitoes?

I've always heard and thought these eat mosquitoes but some reading I've done says this is a myth??? Fact or fiction?? I've let a couple live in my house the last couple days because some mosquitoes got in as well.

Last edited by BillCr; 05-31-2011 at 09:53 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BillCr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Aye id love to know. We always get tons of these when im in the garage working in the shop or something. They do nothing to keep the mosquitos gone i can tell you that but i dont know if they really do eat them. Would love to know though.

-Brandon

Thanks

According to chacha.com - Mosquito hawks are colloquial terms for crane flies and dragonflies. Dragonflies do eat mosquitoes, crane flies do not.

Also thought it was interesting that on wiki-answers it says that adults do not feed.

I always thought they did when I was growing up.

Out of the Loop Supporter Farmboy's Avatar
    Thanks

I am far from an expert on just about anything, but I always remember being taught that what is in your photo is a male mosquito and all the little ones that we all hate are the female of the species. Wow, reading that back makes it seem kinda chauvinistic.... Sorry ladies. Maybe we'll get some real insight soon.
    -Farm.
    "Seeing as round wood will not burn in a square fire, batoning is the most important function of a knife" -Pict
    Prov. 30:7-9

Didn't Burger King used to make Chicken Sticks?

Bay Area, CA & Northeast OH for summer and winter
    Thanks

Mosquito hawks, more accurately called crane flies, do not eat at all. The adult forms that we're used to seeing only mate, and lay eggs. The larvae occasionally eat mosquito larvae, but are not a major predator of them.

Dragonflies do eat alot of mosquitos though.

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks

They call them Leather Jackets around here (my wife calls them "Bops"). I always thought they ate mosquitoes too. I guess I'll be shooing them out of the house now... at least the ones the cat doesn't eat.

He loves 'em

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 1,165 Posts

Never heard of crane fly larvae eating mosquito larvae, since they have two entirely different habitats and metamorphic cycles.
    We've all seen mosquito larvae swimming around in stagnant water. They come to the surface to "hatch" into mosquitoes.
    Crane flies deposit their eggs in soil, though a small number of species are aquatic. The grubs they produce are one of the main antagonists of lawn grass. They eat the roots. Big patches of dead grass in your lawn are probably caused by crane fly larvae. The larvae/grubs get about 3/4" long before metamorphosing into adults. It's the larvae that get the nickname 'leatherjackets'.
    The adults of some species feed on nectar, but most do not feed, but only mate, and die. The adult life span varies by species.

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified BillCr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBushcraft View Post
    They call them Leather Jackets around here (my wife calls them "Bops"). I always thought they ate mosquitoes too. I guess I'll be shooing them out of the house now... at least the ones the cat doesn't eat.

He loves 'em
    Yeah, my cat loves them too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    I am far from an expert on just about anything, but I always remember being taught that what is in your photo is a male mosquito and all the little ones that we all hate are the female of the species. Wow, reading that back makes it seem kinda chauvinistic.... Sorry ladies. Maybe we'll get some real insight soon.
    -Farm.
    Male mosquitoes do look a little bit like crane flies, but are much, much, much smaller.

DancesWithaTrout

We use small bats and have a few bat houses up on the pole barn....we have noticed many dead mosquitos this week in the door entrance door base, literally hand fulls. I put a bunch in a plastic baggie and went down and fed the bulegill in the pond...

Our zapping bug lite has been in overdrive as well this week....

Ths is an article on what eats mosquitoes and how to attract those predators....

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...osquitoes.html
    Last edited by DancesWithaTrout; 06-06-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast