Page 1 of 224 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Bicycle Riders?

TANSTAAFL Supporter werewolf won's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,171 Times in 1,988 Posts

Default Bicycle Riders?

I know we have a good number of motorbike riders, but are there many bicycle riders here? I ride a bike for fitness, and will on odd occasions pack a lunch, or gear for a brew of tea; but do many people use a bike for touring/camping? Is it a campground to campground affair, or do you stealth camp along the road? What do you use for a bike and gear? How about backwoods work on a mountain bike?
    Wolf
    Some roads you shouldn’t go down because maps used to say there’d be dragons there. Now they don’t, but that don’t mean the dragons aren’t there.”

You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified Widerstand's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf won View Post
    I know we have a good number of motorbike riders, but are there many bicycle riders here? I ride a bike for fitness, and will on odd occasions pack a lunch, or gear for a brew of tea; but do many people use a bike for touring/camping? Is it a campground to campground affair, or do you stealth camp along the road? What do you use for a bike and gear? How about backwoods work on a mountain bike?
    Wolf
    I ride my bike all the time for transportation mostly, however I load it up for camping..etc. all the time, not often a campground affair, I just mostly find a spot and setup.

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Widerstand For This Useful Post:

Blissful simpleton Supporter brionic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,079 Times in 1,578 Posts

Big time. I have a "few" bikes and enjoy riding them all.

I have bike camped my way across the state on my own and within a supported large group. It's obviously a lot easier when someone else is carrying the camping gear, but I'm not much for being in the middle of a large group, so there is a tradeoff.

For hauling gear, I have used a trailer, panniers, and a combination of big baskets and saddle bag. I prefer the baskets/saddle bag method, but only if the front basket is mounted on the frame rather than the handlebars.

Overnighters are my favorites... it's just much easier to pack minimal gear/supplies/stuff for a shorter trip within a limited timeframe.

None of these is set up for camping in these pictures, but the idea is to have a solid, comfortable, well fitting bike and a generous sized bag for hauling your gear. At a minimum, I always carry a good set of tools, oil, lights, rescue inhaler, velcro reflectors, cash, first aid kit, plus food/snacks/ whatever. Decent rain gear plus a couple of plastic market bags go a long way here in IA with sudden weather changes this time of year.

Also, I have converted all my bikes back to platform pedals in a revelation that occured a few years back, after being a click-in guy for twenty years. Much more comfortable and easy, with little performance loss.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to brionic For This Useful Post:

TANSTAAFL Supporter werewolf won's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,171 Times in 1,988 Posts

Do you find some campgrounds are more biker friendly, or will any accept a bike rider same as a car camper?
    Wolf
    Some roads you shouldn’t go down because maps used to say there’d be dragons there. Now they don’t, but that don’t mean the dragons aren’t there.”

You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to werewolf won For This Useful Post:

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified Widerstand's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf won View Post
    Do you find some campgrounds are more biker friendly, or will any accept a bike rider same as a car camper?
    Wolf
    Sometimes, also at least out here many campgrounds have a hiker/biker spot where its only like $3 a night and you are far away from the car/rv campers with the loud kids running around and generators kicking on...etc.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Widerstand For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I bike daily and occasionally go on long rides(2-3 hours) my bike is a fixie with no brakes and I love it.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to backwoodsbeagle For This Useful Post:

Blissful simpleton Supporter brionic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,079 Times in 1,578 Posts

I've never had any problems at camp grounds, but I have passed up a few that rubbed me the wrong way.

Key for me is finding a camp site early enough to allow a margin for contingency. My preference is to find a peripheral site, affording as much privacy as possible.

Awareness and precaution in public areas are important. When I'm camping I travel with a few small locks in case I have to step away from my gear, some of which I keep with me at all times.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brionic For This Useful Post:

Banned Member
    Thanks

I am sooo glad this thread got started. I have been a rider for as long as I can remember. I want to build my own small travel trailer to pull behind this bike. I want to build it out of aluminum and coroplast so it can fold out into a sort of fully enclosed cot.

There's a lot of things I want to do LOL....

I have to get some bags too for the rack.

This is my $15 Garage sale Fuji Regal. I ride it daily.

My Wife's centurion also a garage sale find but paid $25. She rides on weekends with me.

Last edited by xj35s; 06-16-2011 at 09:44 AM.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xj35s For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,954 Times in 2,613 Posts

Here is my rickshaw / foldabike combo for off road camping and floating the river and then cycling back to camp with your inflatable boat being towed in rickshaw including inflatable kayak setup . ( so far this is theory )

17. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to riverjoe For This Useful Post:

Banned Member
    Thanks

Dude that's nice. I get the walker bu what did the other part come from with the wheels. I've been over engineering this with tig welding tubing. I can't tig either. Nice work here.

I have a Kent brand folding bicycle with 3 speeds. It has a long pedal crank too. I used to keep it in the big rig for exercise when I had to stop for a 34 hour log book reset. I found a lot of parks that way that other truckers were to lazy to ever look for. LOL.
    Last edited by xj35s; 06-16-2011 at 10:07 AM.

19. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to xj35s For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 224 1231151 ... LastLast