Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Simple "Rabbit Gum" Live Trap.

Tracker
    Thanks

Default The Simple "Rabbit Gum" Live Trap.

I recently answered a call for help from a lady who wanted a pair of rabbits removed from her garden.

On inspecting the place I found that my options were limited. There were one or two locations I could take a reasonably safe shot with my silenced .22, but there were too many houses and people around to feel comfortable using, or being seen with, a rifle.

This got me thinking about various options, and I decided I should at least take the opportunity make a couple of rabbit gums.

I made mine from some 8" x 1" lumber I had used as concrete boxing. It was pretty rough, but these traps aren't dining room furniture.

In my opinion there is nothing too critical about the dimensions. I figure that it has to be long enough so that the rabbit is completely inside the trap before reaching the trigger stick.... and that the tunnel has to be narrow enough to ensure that the animal has to push past the trigger. And it has to be big enough to allow easy access by the animal.

Some similar traps I've seen pictures of seem to have special guide rails or grooves for the sliding door. That wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it is always necessary. I figure the old timers who used hollow logs were unlikely to have fitted fancy door tracks. It would take a heck of a bunny to push the door open on my traps.

The trap has to sit reasonably level to ensure that the door drops cleanly... otherwise it could possibly jam on the rough timber walls.

So far I've caught nothing in my gums. The rabbits might be curious enough to enter the traps, or maybe to investigate them as a sheltered place to hang out. But I can't see why they'd go sniffing near foreign objects looking for food right now when there is an abundance of natural feed around. It has been a good exercise though. And I've finally got permission to set some snares, and I know from experience that I should see some results from these.

I left the gums open for a week or so in position. I've just started to set and bait them. I used carrots and carraway seeds for bait.

Best wishes from New Zealand.... Coote.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,676 Times in 470 Posts

I may be making one of these. Thanks for the design.

Jesster
    You got to keep the glass half full!!!!!!

Tracker
    Thanks

No worries. I'd be keen to try making one from a hollow log or a big bit of pipe. Some folks say you don't even need to bait these traps because the animals like to go into 'tunnels' anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,575 Posts

A very simple design. I have to try it now.

Tracker
    Thanks

This trap looks great. Super simple design. I'll definitely be making one of these soon. I've got plenty of rabbits in the yard to experiment with.

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

Try half an apple for bait. It's usually worked for me.

Desert Blue
    Albuquerque, NM

wolfy

If you use wire mesh over the back end so the bunny can see all the way through it will enter with more confidence.........also let's you know if you trapped a skunk!

Tracker
    Thanks

good idea, we've got lots of those too

Hardwood Plainsman Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,650 Times in 4,188 Posts
    Items for Sale

I can get scores of 5 gallon buckets. This may work well with them. Even better with the square cat litter buckets.

Thanks for the post.
    Skab Leatherworks Subforum

Blog

Tracker Pack#10

Tracker
    Thanks

i can't believe you said that about the cat litter buckets. We've got tons of them and i was already downstairs eyeballing one. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast