Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turning butcher blades into bushcraft knives

Guide Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,232 Times in 504 Posts

Default Turning butcher blades into bushcraft knives

Has anyone here toyed with turning old Green River and Old Hickory kitchen knives into serviceable bushcraft knives ?

Thanks

Do a search on Green river and Old hick knives. I know you will find hours of reading material.

A few members here have done a good few old hick mods, Trekon and Sgt. Mac would be the guys i would go to. They know a good bit of good stuff.

-Brandon

Supporter Bush Class Basic Certified borumas's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moe M. View Post
    Has anyone here toyed with turning old Green River and Old Hickory kitchen knives into serviceable bushcraft knives ?
    Heck yeah! Converted an old skinner to a bushknife here:

I recently did a new Old Hickory Skinner to a Nessmuk but I haven't got picks up yet, good knife so far from the little bit I've used it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,756 Times in 597 Posts

Here's one I shortened.

Guide Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,232 Times in 504 Posts

I thank everybody so far for your replies, after a lot of years of buckskining and period treking this bushcraft stuff is not such a big departure, but it does have it's differences, knives and other cutting tools being one of them.
    I've been experimenting with different one's trying to find what works best for me, I gone out with a camp axe and several of the suggested bigger bushcraft knives, the BK-2, a Ka-Bar, and the Gerber Prodigy, I've found that while handy, the camp axe adds more weight to my pack for what I get out of it, but a good folding saw works great and doesn't weigh any more than a med. fixed blade knife.
    I used to carry a longhuners knife and a hawk in my sash, and I'm fnding that, again, while handy for some chopping needs, the HD knives like the Beckker and the Gerber are a little thick in the blade for my liking, in going through some of my old stuff I came across a few American made Green River and two Old Hickory knives, while they aren't real pretty or tactical looking, they do have good blades, thick enough I think for most Bushcraft needs, yet light enough to do smaller cutting jobs a bit easier.
    So, I'm thinking of reworking one or two of them to see how they do for bushcraft knives, any Ideas would be gladly received.

Thanks

...not that you mention it... :-) Last month I cut down a large Green River butcher knife. We broke a thumb-width chip out of it smacking it thru a branch. Knots are tough.

This blade is thin and IMO more suited to slicing than rough use. I'm having trouble getting the right angle on the edge so that it doesn't fold over right away. But oh what a slicer!

I used a dremel reinforced cut-off wheel with water running over it to keep it cool. Don't do this at home. :-) Then used a file and sandpaper to cut the new edge on the tip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified Adam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,310 Times in 1,348 Posts

I'd like to take an Old Hick or the like and make a PSK knife out of it. Once I get my other 92000 projects done.

Dross

So to answer your question in a word...yes.

Thanks

Granted, some of the mods folks make look really nice, but I think they are fine the way they are made. They worked well enough for the last 180 years or so.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Tuniques...sOfIndianWars#

Just my 2 cents.

Mario

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mario View Post
    Granted, some of the mods folks make look really nice, but I think they are fine the way they are made. They worked well enough for the last 180 years or so.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Tuniques...sOfIndianWars#

Just my 2 cents.

Mario
    I think this guy is way off on his dates

1890??
    https://picasaweb.google.com/Tunique...csOfIndianWars

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast