Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanley Camp Cook set

Scout Bush Class Intermediate Certified Beginnersbushman's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 310 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jinya1004 View Post
    You are gonna like it. Scott and I were both using that kit during our trip out. Interestingly I didn't even use the Ozark cup as I found it redundant and myself lazy to clean another cup.

I thought those green cups were going to be useless, but I ended up using them a lot.

Now we need to modify them so we can tell them apart.
    Yeah It is a nice little kit. I had seen this thread on here last week and was looking to buy one of the 18 oz cups. I hadn't really given the mess kit much thought. Then when I saw the one that you guys had last weekend, I had to have one. (Sorry, I forgot to mention that before.) The plastic cups will probably stay at home most of the time, so I can utilize the inside for storage. Up till now, most of my pots (other than the old coffee pot) have been D.I.Y. billy cans. It's nice to have something so compact, yet useful. It will likely be used along side the USGI mess kit quite a bit. Between the two, you have everything you could need for a couple of people. I'll carry one in my pack, and Amanda can carry the other.

P.S. Don't worry, you will still see the Billy cans at bigger outings.

Thanks

I wound up with two because... well... $14.99. In a 12x5 Maxped bottle holder, I have a dedicated hot-chocolate rig for hiking with the kids in winter. It already had the Stanley outdoor thermos; now it's got four Stanley cups to match.

Someone made a good point about the cook-set lid fitting the Ozark Trails mug. You can heat up enough water for a dehydrated meal or you can just heat up a drink in the mug. Either way, you have a lid that fits.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guyon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,149 Posts

got mine today and built a hobo stove for it outa a little 10 oz coffee can (volcano stove style), boiled 24 ox of water in 15 minutes on a couple of handfulls of wood chips and shavings from where I've been trying to teach myself to whittle. I think one of my 46 ox juice cans with their slightly larger diameter may make a better hobo for the kit and will try that tommorow. I do think the plastic cups are useless as I just donna like putting hot food in plastic. the real upside I see here is the 24 oz capacity matches my stanely food jug, so I can get a bean and rice mix to a boil in this pour it in the food jug and an hour or two later have a hearty warm meal with pretty minimal kit size I think this thing a hobo stove sized to it and my 6 inch cast iron might make an ideal cookset when I am by myself. The combination of a boiler and thermos bottle gives the ability to take foods that take longer to cook than ramen and freeze dried stuff and the 24 oz size is much closer to what I eat in a meal than the more common 16 oz solo pots.
    Only thing this realy is lacking is a bail but I think I can fix that quick enough
    one more thing the 24 oz mark is at the bevel where it widens which means the pot holds almost a quart if filled to the brim allowing for actual cooking of 24 oz of food I checked this with my kitchen measuring cups

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to amusin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,789 Times in 2,110 Posts

i got two of 'em yesterday. had to go to three walmarts to find 'em. the thing is a perfect fit on a cat stove; two cups of water boiling in 6 minutes, 40 seconds after letting the stove pre-heat for a couple of minutes.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Foreman For This Useful Post:

Supporter Bush Class Basic Certified borumas's Avatar
    Thanks

I got one from Target the other day (the Walmart near me had not had them or the SS cups in stock for weeks), it fits my Guyot Backpacker bottle really well and I even keep one cup in it and have the Guyot on top of it- this fits nicely into my haversack/shoulder bag. I had bought one for a buddy on his birthday (unfortunately someone had stolen his pack from his car awhile back and he was starting over on camping gear) and after looking at it I had to get one for my haversack setup. Looks like a great piece of kit and I look forward to putting it to use.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to borumas For This Useful Post:

Banned Member Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,216 Times in 770 Posts

We bought the Stanley cook set from Walgreens.com. They are very nice little sets.

Scout
    Thanks

I bought three of them, Bought one first then decided 2 would be nice then bought the wife one for her pack. The insulated cups really work. Do have to be careful it does not tip. Replaced plastic tab on lid with a wire ring, works great

Thanks

Here's the hot chocolate rig with the Stanley cups.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guyon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I got my Stanley set at Walmart a week ago and finally got to try it out today on my hobo stove that I'm working on.

I also finally got water to boil over my twig fire. Still refining the hobo stove...

if you can't see the bubbles, I assure you it is boiling. I'm pretty pleased.

Also, in the spirit of experimentation, this evening while the family was eating left overs, I made one of those dehydrated noodle meals in a pouch (fettuccine alfredo) in backpacking fashion on the stove (dry milk, no butter, measured with the cups that come with the Stanley set). This revealed some practicalities that I hadn't thought of. Don't burn anything in this pot, especially if you have big hands because reaching down to the bottom is somewhat of a pain. Having Comet cleaner or some other stainless steel cleaner would help a ton (which is what I used on the scorched milk) but its still a pain to scrub the bottom edges. The meal was palatable (I've eaten worse) and all in all a nice afternoon practicing my craft.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to run n gun For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

I did the key ring mod to mine, put a steel fishing leader through the ring, then slid the lock under the ring so I could hang it from a pot hook.

Bart

Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast