Thread: Jute basket/water bottle carrier tutorial

Guide Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,368 Times in 559 Posts

Default Jute basket/water bottle carrier tutorial

As per requested, here's a tutorial for weaving jute baskets or bottle carriers. Since there's soo many photos I'll leave these as thumbnails. I'll show how to make a bottle carrier. A basket is the same except you don't do a strap.

First you need to figure out how big you want your basket. Here I show one of the eight uprights and how I sized it.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Here's all I need. Eight uprights in brown, 72 ft of working end in green and wound up from the two ends to the middle for ease of use, the bottle I'm making this for. Two of the uprights are longer than the rest to make a shoulder strap.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Take four of your uprights and line them up then fold in half to leave a small crease or mark the middle some other way. Take the other four and do the same thing. If two are longer for a strap then line up one end and fold them with the two other uprights. Now take the two sets and cross them on your mark. Take your running end from the middle and wrap around one leg of the cross.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Holding the cross in one hand and the running end in your other, twist the running end so the piece on the backside comes to the front and the piece fromn the frontside goes to the back of the next leg. This is the whole movement from now on.
    [IMG][/IMG]

After two full revolutions around the four legs we will split each leg into two to make eight legs then continue with the simple wrap of the running end around each leg.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

After two full revolutions around with eight legs we split the legs again so there are sixteen of them.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Continue doing the half twist around each upright(leg) at the tension to keep your workpiece flat until you get the diameter you want your basket to be. When you reach your goal diameter start to tighten your weave a little. This will start to deform your workpiece into a cup shape.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Continue with keeping the weave a little tighter until your cup shape bend is complete to your liking. When complete slightly loosen the weave so you keep your walls in the diameter of your choosing.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Continue your weaving until you get to the height you want. Here's where I took the two longer uprights and tied them to the two opposite.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I then took the running end and ran them along side the two long uprights and through the top of the weave on the opposite side. I then started weaving the running ends throught the four pieces(two green and two brown) that are making up the shoulder strap. This pic shows this at the end of this weave. I than tie off the two running ends.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Now we have twelve upright ends sticking out the top. Take one and wrap it in front of the one next to it than behind the following upright. Continue doing this until they are all laying down on top of the weave.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Since I did this basket in two tone I cut off a piece of brown more than long enough to start the wrap along the top. If you plan a little better than I did you could leave one or more of the uprights longer to do this. Sometimes I'll even use what is left of the running ends if I'm not doing a strap. Start threading this piece through the weave a couple of rows down and wrapping it up around the top. This is to finish the top edge of the basket.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Here it is done along with a larger basket I've done.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Once the top is finished you're done. You could make baskets of whatever size you want along with bottle covers and carriers. These also help to insulate the bottle. You could also make cups with these if you seal them with pitch. You're only limited by your imagination on what you can do. You could also devise a drawstring for the top if you wanted. I hope someone finds this useful. If there are any questions than don't hesitate to ask.
    Last edited by Ratty1; 07-13-2011 at 09:08 AM.

Tracker
    Thanks

that is amazing i just bought some hemp from walmart yesterday to do this very project but i had no idea how to do it... awesome thanks man!
    Last edited by Jonesyjo; 07-13-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 610 Posts

Great tutorial and great work, too!

Thanks

Thank you for posting this! I am going to attempt to make a few of the baskets to use for foraging and I may even try the cup idea. Hopefully with these instructions it will turn out better than the last time I tried to make a basket.

Tracker Supporter Dave from Bullhead's Avatar
    Thanks

That is SO awesome !

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesyjo View Post
    what did you do with the brown mre piece? is that a typo or did you use cardboard for something?
    I believe there should be an 'o' between the 'm' and 'r', it should read 'more', and as the picture shows, it's being run around the top - providing a nice border/rim.

RATTY - thanks for posting, I will have to try this one.

Guide Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,368 Times in 559 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesyjo View Post
    that is amazing i just bought some hemp from walmart yesterday to do this very project but i had no idea how to do it... awesome thanks man!

what did you do with the brown mre piece? is that a typo or did you use cardboard for something?
    Thanks for the comments. That was a typo. What I was saying is that I cut off a brown piece more than long enough to do the finish on the top edge of the basket.

Tracker
    Thanks

Thank you for the "HOW TO" post...Outstanding job...Adding this to the list of projects to attempt!!!