Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stevens Model 311A

Scout
    Thanks

Default Stevens Model 311A

Hey Guys,

What can you tell me about a Stevens Model 311A double barrel shot gun? Are they common and are they well built?

I just got one from my dad.

Thanks,

Geoff

Thanks
    Thanked 28,093 Times in 8,346 Posts

Savage/ Stevens 311 is a very good, very plain double barrel. They are great hunting guns, and very reliable. They are not pretty and graceful like more expensive double barrel guns, but they were one of the most common farm guns for a generation or more.

Shoot us some pictures, and tells what guage, barrel length, choke markings, etc.
    Nemo me impune lacessit !

Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    New Turley Knife Club Member #59

DancesWithaTrout

I have a couple 311a Stevens shotguns, 20ga and .410.

They are well built, parts are common to the Savage/Springfield/Fox series. Parts are avail when needed from this source.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...aspx?catid=603

The average prices you would expect to pay are $250 to $600. The .410 in 21" barrel are the hardest to find. If you are looking for a common 12ga in used condition, I would not pay more than $300. New or as new condition - $400. 410's deman preimum prices and have honestly seen them bid up to $1000.

The most common thing to go wrong are the firing pins being mushroomed out and the entire action being stiff from the type of grease used when made, it hardens out over time. Simple soak in kerosene or mineral spirits w/o the stock on will cure that situation. Just re-lube with a good spray oil into the action after the soak and dry.

If you are buying a used one....here are some weak points to look for:

1. Wrist area of the stock for cracks and hairline cracks. You will find many of them with repaired cracks using pins and epoxy.

2. Mid barrel bulges. There will be slight swells about mid-length on the barrels from people using Buck, Slugs and alternate shot like bismuth, alloys etc..... These bulges are easy to repair, but should detract a lot of cash on a sale.

3. Failure to fire and failure to extract/eject. The firing pins, extractors and ejectors are easily worn on these shotguns, also easy to detect with fired cases marked with a permanent marker. Load the shells, fire both barrels in a safe direction, open and extract.......if they extract well and show a decent firing pin impression... all is A-Ok.

If there is FTF/FTEe, then check the shell, this should tell you where wear points are as indicated on the inked shell casing.

4. Flared barrel muzzles. Often hunters and amateur gunsmiths will flare the muzzles in hopes of averting cracked muzzles and choke points when they use alloy or slugs. Easy fix for most gunssmiths.

Hope this helps, please contact me if you have need for more information on these shotguns.
    Last edited by DancesWithaTrout; 07-17-2011 at 06:49 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,079 Times in 1,821 Posts

My very first shotgun was a 20 gauge model 311, loved that shotgun but when desperate for first date money I sold it to a friend. That date ended well as she's still with me 31 years later so i guess it was a worthy sacrifice.

Thanks

They make a damn fine bunny gun!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Scout
    Thanks

I've been after a Stevens 311 ever since I saw one at the first gun show I attended.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 539 Posts

i had a model 511, which is basically the same as a 311. It was a great gun! Enjoy it, it won't disappoint.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rdraider For This Useful Post:

Guide
    Thanks

So many are being cut up for cowboy games, that it's possible that un-monkeyed examples will see a bit of a premium pretty soon.

Its ancestor the 5100 was one I really liked. Mine was a 12G 30" Mod/Full. Overweight by a pound or more, and just ever so long, it was a squirrel killing machine. It patterned well with any stuff you fed it.

If I lived in a buckshot for deer situation, it would have been definitive in that role.

Guide
    Saint George, UT, temporarily out of state (and mind!)
    Thanks

I've owned two Stevens arms. Both were among the cheapest I've ever had and are two of the guns I miss the most.

One was a bolt-action 12 ga goose-gun: 28" barrel, two round mag and adjustable choke. Great, reliable, impressive-looking gun. Blew minds with it when I opened up with that thing around folks who didn't know what it was.

The other was a "Sheriff" model .22 bolt rifle. Single-shot, chambered .22 LR and Shorts. Fun, fun little gun. Scary accurate too. It was also free. Friend found it in a dumpster, corroded and clogged. He got the bolt loose and gave up. I got it, rodded the bore clear, cleaned the whole thing and test fired it with a string. It shot great! I never even adjusted the sights. What a squirrel slayer!

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks

A 311 was the first shotgun I ever bought. Had it for about 45 years, one of my daughters has it now. Great gun, had to replace the spring on the safety button about 10 years ago, other than that, no problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast