Page 3 of 95 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Unusual Items you've come across abandoned on trail.

Thanks

I have also found the solid latex version of what you were describing in what I thought was a deer bed in the middle of nowhere. Around 4 hour full on hike from any roads.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Muddy Paws For This Useful Post:

Guide
    Saint George, UT, temporarily out of state (and mind!)
    Thanks

I came across an old safe, shot full of holes. Just outside an old ghost town, it was pretty cool.

Dang, I need to go out in some of the place you other folks go! Sounds like a gear free-for-all!

I had friends who would go up on the local ski resort in the late spring to scavenge for ski gear: goggles, skis, poles, etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DancesWithaTrout View Post
    We seem to find antique tractors in very odd places.

Weirdest piece of gear would be an 1861 Civil War rifle leaning against a tree that the tree closed over the muzzle area and the ram rod was still in the muzzle, all the way down on an emptycap lock chamber. We cut that whole burl out of the tree and that is now on display in my gun shop. I often wondered if I should restore it, but have always decided not to, just for the sake of the oddity and its natural history. The rifle is in pretty bad shape rust and rot wise with maybe 75% metal and wood left. Stabilized the rot and rust, left it all on and display it as we found it.

We found it in Tenn, near our fam homestead and was private land. The tree was a very old knarly and much abused Oak, still alive though. We cut the burl out and had a tree surgen rair the area. The Oak is still alive today.
    That is awesome!!!!!! you should check that area really good with a metal detector....No telling what might turn up.... makes you wonder if the soldier himself left it there.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dixiefloater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,168 Times in 2,843 Posts

In the deepest darkest triple canopy jungle in Viet Nam we stumbled upon a complete house entirely constructed of bamboo over a tumbling little white water creek . It was entirely bamboo or split bamboo and resembled a cape cod type house with split bamboo floor . It had trapdoors in the floor for fishing or escape or whatever . It was not thatched yet and I assumed the owner was going to do that on his return .
    There was a note attached which read "please don't burn my house " so naturally the officers decided to burn it in case the owner was VC

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to riverjoe For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,687 Times in 813 Posts

Not anything too strange, old foundations, old farming equipment that I can't identify.

Found an old two man cross cut saw by an old foundation, handles long rotted off.

Found this about 4 miles back in the woods, still can't figure out where it came from, can't see any point in someone carrying this back that far.

Elder
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,586 Times in 2,777 Posts

A vintage axe mask left in the woods the year before.
    A knife stuck in a tree.
    Lots of vintage farm equipment.
    Woods dumps.
    Old foundations.
    Telegraph poles overgrown with an overstory of trees.

So not that weird, but I must say the stuffed T-rex sitting under a ledge on Devil's Pulpit, surveying the Gap, was a bit odd...somebody must have a quirky sense of humor! Else a child somewhere is crying for his Rex!

PMZ

Scout
    Thanks

found this just off the trail recently, originally posted here
    still have no idea what its original purpose is, really looks like a piece of a stove. so funny how i was thinking about how annoyed i was with myself for not getting my wood-gas stove running as nice as the ones i've seen here and on utube, and i looked at my feet and this thing was sitting there.
    i think the smaller hole in the top is a pivot for a cap, gotta be a stove or burner of some kind. notice the handles on the sides.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Binalith For This Useful Post:

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified 8thsinner's Avatar
    Thanks

Some older fire grates for larger houses look similar to that, not sure on the thickness mind, thickest I have seen is about 1/3"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 8thsinner For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Hey Brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
    Around here, its your usual condom wrappers and beer cans. I did find a discarded Kansas City Royals T-shirt though... There is also an older piece of farm equipment I cannot ID.

That is (are) the remnants of a horse drawn combine. That was farmland at one time............Ross

Thanks

i found a bag of random items like lighters, flashlight and some clothes,gum, ciggaretes, batteries, and a few other things that were normal. not much weird stuff in the woods were i live
    Last edited by Dr. Redneck; 07-26-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Page 3 of 95 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast