Page 51 of 90 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Unusual Items you've come across abandoned on trail.

Thanks

hooch.jpghooch2.jpghooch3.jpg

My girlfriend and I took a small "getaway" this weekend and i convinced her to go on a short hike with me yesterday morning. We spotted this sweet little hooch about a mile down the lonestar trail from 1375 in New Waverly, TX. They did everything using natural materials and built the frame around a downed tree. Since it got chilly the night before, we left them a mag bar and striker...just in case the bow drill didn't work. But either way, beautiful workmanship and it was a really cool find for her first hike! Thanks for looking.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MedicineMan68 For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan68 View Post

My girlfriend and I took a small "getaway" this weekend and i convinced her to go on a short hike with me yesterday morning. We spotted this sweet little hooch about a mile down the lonestar trail from 1375 in New Waverly, TX. They did everything using natural materials and built the frame around a downed tree. Since it got chilly the night before, we left them a mag bar and striker...just in case the bow drill didn't work. But either way, beautiful workmanship and it was a really cool find for her first hike! Thanks for looking.
    Cool!
    We were also in SHNF this last weekend.
    Just down the road from you, should have come visited.
    http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...NF-Trip-Report
    2014 - 17 Nights Under the Stars - and counting
    54B ~ BladeScrounger #5 ~ Machete Mafia
    Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast
    non timebo mala
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saustin1967 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

shouldnt those leaves have the stem side up?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JC1 For This Useful Post:

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

I've never found anyone else's stuff but i did find a piece of gear I had lost the year prior!

I had an old whistle that was my dads from when he was in the National Guard, I carried it as a distress whistle when i went hiking and such. When I was around 15 I was on an annual trip in the Idaho mountains. We'd set up a base camp and then do overnights and day hikes out of the camp. On the overnight we had camped in the woods next a meadow. The next year we go back to the same place and someone says "Hey guys, I found this whistle hanging on a tree." Imagine my surprise when it was mine haha!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrackerInTraining For This Useful Post:

Woods Bum Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,642 Times in 4,070 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan68 View Post

that's funny as heck that we were there too... wonder if it was a fellow BCUSA member, or an orphaned bushcrafter who doesn't know we exist...
    "Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you." John Muir

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Seeker For This Useful Post:

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

uhmmmm...... broken bongs, cars folded in half, engine blocks, my friend was walking in the pond in our neighborhood and it was dried up and he found a rusty 22 cal ruger handgun. i knew a guy whos kids friends found a skeleton of a woman who was murdered in the woods in our neighborhood.

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified Grillsgt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 323 Posts

My son and I were hiking in the back 18,000 acres of Barksdale AFB and saw the bones of a model T on the trail

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JC1 View Post
    shouldnt those leaves have the stem side up?
    I think, brother, it was made just to be made... for aesthetic properties if you will.

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Binalith View Post
    found this just off the trail recently, originally posted here
    still have no idea what its original purpose is, really looks like a piece of a stove. so funny how i was thinking about how annoyed i was with myself for not getting my wood-gas stove running as nice as the ones i've seen here and on utube, and i looked at my feet and this thing was sitting there.
    i think the smaller hole in the top is a pivot for a cap, gotta be a stove or burner of some kind. notice the handles on the sides.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Looks like a vent cap that would cover a chimney or smokestack.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogparts View Post
    Looks like a vent cap that would cover a chimney or smokestack.
    I think that is a burner they placed in orchards when there was a threat of frost after the buds/blossoms had set.

Page 51 of 90 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast