Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Nailed

Thanks

Nails are the best. In a true SHTF situation I plan on using them to attach my prisoners to trees ..........

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Nails were so valuable in the past that when pioneers moved they often burned down their buildings and took the nails with them.
    Weird cause after the bastrop fire we were out rebuilding fence. I tried to use some of the nails from the burnt house. About two good taps on the nail head and they bent over. I tried many different sizes and types. About 5. I guess you can re heat treat them? I dont know about these kinds of things. Can you reheat treat it over and over again and get the strength back or does it degrade and you never have the same quality of steel again???

Thanks
    Thanked 2,336 Times in 735 Posts

I don't think you ever have the same quality of steel back again. Guns that have been in fires are not safe to use again, no matter what you do to them.

I've heard the story about burning a house down to save the nails, but it never made sense to me. I have my doubts if it was really done.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Guide
    Thanks

They did re-use the nails, but I don't know why they would burn down the house to do so. They probably re-used the wood too, or for fuel if nothing else.

Scout
    Thanks

heat- treated STEEL is different than soft wrought iron. alot of times old nailed where put thru holes then bent(clenched) over. they had to be heated and straightened anyway

rob/ saltrock

Thanks

I wrap fishing line around a couple of nails for storage in my kit. I put the nail in my drill to wind the line around it tightly. Then use electrical tape to keep it snug.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDeBee View Post
    MODERATORS: This may be considered off topic. IF you want to deleate or repost this OK with me...

Posted in the spirit of preparedness skills and examples of what can be done ...

Here are a few pictures of what can be done with brace and bit. I helped my neighbor Dan the Man build his Man Hut in the alley.

At times he used power tools, there is a metal roof etc. but he also used hand tools at times just to prove to himself that he had the skill and the project could be done by hand it needed.

I was a go-fer and an extra pair of hands, plus I helped set the frams and the rafters, so don't think I really built this. I gained alot just by being around and helping.

It was the neighborhood hang out for the guys to play pingpong and to BS by the fire. Great winter hang out. Great and genrous friend. Learned alot too.

By the way most of the matrerials in the Man Hut were found, begged or bartered. You can see that each beam was hand cut or shaped with a chain saw. No dimensional lumber in the whole place. Not a perfectly square corner either. Dan kept saying, " It only has to be close..." Some how he made it work. I could always see this shed in a quiet spot in the woods....

Luke DeBee
    THis is really, REALLY, cool. Thank you for posting. I wish i had a space like that for myself
    John

"Not all those who wander are lost"

Scout
    Thanks

I have whats left of a 50# box of 8 and 16 p wire nails, screws varrious sizes. Two hammers, one for my g-son to loose and one for me to use.
    I just put brass tacks up the back of my ax handle 1 inch apart as a measuring "tape".
    The next is to take a triangle file and noch the head in 1/8 1/4 1/2 ect. for fine measuring.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456