Thread: Kellam/Ahti Knives?

Tracker
    Thanks

Default Kellam/Ahti Knives?

Hey guys, I searched the board and found a bit of information on Kellam knives but I still have a few questions.

I am interested in one of their Puukkos, I also understand that Kellams are made by the guy that does Ahti knives. So I guess I have it narrowed down to the Kellam Wolverine or Kellam Puukko then the Ahti Vaara or Ahti Metsa. This is the size I am looking for but I am in a toss up between the regular carbon steel or the SPT steel on the Wolverine.

I am new to Scandi knives and I am just learning how to sharpen and use them for bushcraft duties. I think I am leaning towards the regular carbon steel in the Kellam Puukko, only cause I dont think I can get the Ahti knives shipped to Canada (Ragnar doesn't anymore).

Am I right in saying all 4 of these knives have the same blade length and shape, also the handles are just slightly different on each? Anybody use these knives, how are they for fit/finish and quality? Thanks

Scout
    Thanks

I think any of these will be a great blade. The ones that I have had and have have all been of very high quality fit and finish. I wouldn't hesitate to get any of them as I think you will be happy either way. That being said you might also look at Helle. They make pretty good stuff as well. The Wolverine appears to be .5 inch shorter than the puuko from Kellam. The Ahti Vaara has a 3 5/8 inch blade and the Metsa appears to be the same with a different handle. So, as you stated, they are all pretty close in blades lengths. It may come down to which handle you like best.

I just built a knife using the Kellam Carbon 4.7 and I like it very well (pics up here in the forum). I chose the regular carbon because it was cheaper and I am partial to traditional carbon blades. They are super east to sharpen IMO. However I don't think there is anything wrong with the SPT blades at all. They are still carbon just with a differential heat treat.

All in all if it were me buying today I think I would give the Wolverine a try. I just like the look of it.

Have fun choosing and let us know what you get.

Thanks

I am in a toss up between the regular carbon steel or the SPT steel on the Wolverine.

I am new to Scandi knives and I am just learning how to sharpen and use them for bushcraft duties.
    Most of this will come down to personal preference given the slight differences. I have the Kellam Puukko and had the Kellam Wolverine (gave it to one of the boys). My hand (XL) found the larger Kellam Puukko handle more comfortable than the Wolverine. Others prefer the Wolverine handle. The Wolverine SPT steel is a few points higher on the Rockwell scale and will hold an edge a bit longer than the Kellam Puukko blade. It does take a little longer to sharpen it, however, but not too difficult with a little patience. I haven't used the Ahti models that you mention but have a smaller Ahti that I like real well.

My older Kellam Puukko.

Thanks

I had an Ahti (vaara, I think) and didn't like the finger groove, the handle seemed too short for my medium hand; and the sheath was a bit funky. I didn't like the finish of the wood. Blade was nice though.

If I were to choose again, I would go with the Kellam; if for no other reason than that the sheath looks better. One of the guys on bushcraftUK (siberianfury, I think) had a kellam that he used hard and reported good results.....I think he also put up some tests on youtube. You might check bensbackwoods.com to see if he ships north.

If I can recomend different brands, my favorite pair is a Mora #1 for EDC, and a Wood Jewell puukko for Sunday best. I find the Wood Jewell fits my hand better than the Ahti, has a handmade feel/personality while the Ahti seems like its machine made, and a very excellent sheath.

Thanks

The blades are by Lauri. Ahti just does the handle. Not sure where he buys his blades from for his own line of knives.

Tracker
    Thanks

Trail Dust: You have just confirmed what I was thinking regarding the grip size. I owned a Helle Eggen for a few months and really liked the thickness of the grip and the fact that it stays that thickness all the way out to the pommel. I didn't like the Eggen's finger guard and the drop point blade shape which is why I sold it.

I do have larger hands as well and I see that the Puukko has a thicker grip than the Wolverine, actually the Puukko's looks alot like the Helle Eggen without the finger guard.

I think I am going to go with the Kellam Puukko, I have noticed that they changed the blade polish on the Puukko recently. The earlier ones look to have a much darker top half of the blade than the newer polished ones, whats with that? Still the same steel?

rg598

I have had the Kellam Wolverine for a while, and have not had any problems with the blade. It is a beautiful knife. Here is the review:
    Last edited by Sgt. Mac; 10-11-2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: BLOG SPAM

Tracker
    Thanks

Or I guess its the other way around, the older Puukkos are the ones with the fully polished blades and the newer ones have the two-tone dark top and polished edge. Right???

Thanks
    Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,079 Posts

I have the Ahti Metsa and the older Kellam Puukko and I like them both a lot...maybe the Kellam a little more because of the great handle shaping. Both come with well made sheaths...likely from the same source.

I'm in agreement with Bill...the blades of both are made by Lauri. They are the biggest blade manufacturer in Finland and many "makers" use their blades. Kellam won't admit that they use Lauri blades...I read that Lauri holds the patent on the induction coil process they use on their differentially tempered blades.

BTW - The older model Ahti Vaara looked identical to the Kellam Puukko...the handle was changed about 4 years ago to the shape it has now
    Last edited by Spork; 08-03-2011 at 04:49 PM.
    Dave

Banned Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spork View Post
    I have the Ahti Metsa and the older Kellam Puukko and I like them both a lot...maybe the Kellam a little more because of the great handle shaping. Both come with well made sheaths...likely from the same source.

I'm in agreement with Bill...the blades of both are made by Lauri. They are the biggest blade manufacturer in Finland and many "makers" use their blades. Kellam won't admit that they use Lauri blades...I read that Lauri holds the patent on the induction coil process they use on their differentially tempered blades.

BTW - The older model Ahti Vaara looked identical to the Kellam Puukko...the handle was changed about 4 years ago to the shape it has now
    I Have an Ahti...thanks to one of my buds; and it's a true beaut of a blade, sits well in my hand, and it has me wanting the larger brother in the Ahti line.
    Last edited by donal; 08-07-2011 at 06:54 AM.