Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yucca walking sticks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,734 Times in 344 Posts

Default Yucca walking sticks

I've made walking sticks for myself and friends for many years. I've used all kinds of locally available wood (maple, Russian olive, oak) but I think I've found the perfect walking stick wood: yucca. In good years with some rain the yucca plants send up a long stalk that sprouts big white flowers. These become seed pods that dry out and then open up, dropping their seeds. These long seed stalks make excellent walking sticks. They are light but very strong. And they never warp. They aren't really wood. They are made of many long fibers, sort of like a graphite fishing rod. As you drive around the back country around here you see zillions of yucca plants with their seed stalks sticking up. So I stop and snip off some, using a long handled pruning nipper, and throw them in my truck. This doesn't hurt the yucca plant. It will grow more stalks another year. Later, I make walking sticks out of them. I use a saw and miter box to cut them to length. And a knife to trim off the rough stuff. Then I whittle a rounded top, and do some sanding. I drill a lanyard hole (I like paracord) below where a person's hand will rest. Then I put on a couple of coats of linseed oil. Then I put a heavy duty rubber cane tip (I buy Carex cane tips off ebay) and tie on a lanyard. A nice touch is to glue a metal button on top. I found a bunch of interesting metal buttons locally. These have a post or stud sticking out the back for thread. I dig a hole in the end of the stick for the button's stud with a screw driver, then fill it with epoxy and set the button down flat with it's stud in the epoxy.

They turn out very nice. I give them to friends, and I sell them at local galleries and markets for about $20-25. People really like them because they look good, are light, strong, feel good in the hand, and will last forever with an occasional coat of oil. The rubber cane tip can be pulled off and replaced when it wears out.

Here are some pics and info.

http://www.smmtc.org/plantofthemonth...0606_Yucca.htm

By the way, the yucca is the state flower of New Mexico.

Here is the stick I use all the time. It's getting a little beat up, but it's still going strong.

Last edited by gila_dog; 08-14-2011 at 07:28 AM.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to gila_dog For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Cool I don't have yuca in my area I have used bamboo in the past but it hard to find a straight piece

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Doubletap For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Nice post. I've got a couple I've made recently. One from soap tree yucca, one from sotol (aka Desert Spoon). I hadn't thought to treat them with linseed oil, though. I'm gonna do that today!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dog.breath For This Useful Post:

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks

Nice stick. I don't have Yucca but I have several other types. I think they are a handy tool and it is nice to embellish your own to make it your own.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MATT CHAOS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 28,790 Times in 8,478 Posts

The yucca here local to me is a bit thin and short to make a good stick- 2 to 3' long, and about thumb thick near the base.

Out further west some can be found that are better sized.
    Nemo me impune lacessit !

Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    New Turley Knife Club Member #59

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GreyOne For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I never really looked at Yucca in that way. I'll have to keep my eyes oven for something long enough. Thanks for the post and pics..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nerual the Mad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 28,790 Times in 8,478 Posts

One caution- it is very strong under linear pressure, and will bear weight very well, but if put under heavy sideways pressure, it can "crimp" and break very unexpectedly .

I would not count on it for driving off stray dogs, or making a camp chair, for instance.
    Nemo me impune lacessit !

Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    New Turley Knife Club Member #59

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GreyOne For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Awsome like the idea Yucca works great for a bow or hand drill makes a quick fire.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to g8rgar For This Useful Post:

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,410 Times in 1,206 Posts

Very nice! Reminds me of my mullein walking stick. Some materials just tend to get over looked.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Philosopher For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Old Philosopher View Post
    Very nice! Reminds me of my mullein walking stick. Some materials just tend to get over looked.
    Wow, you must have some giant mullein up your way! The stuff that grows in AZ's mountains would make a good walking stick for a guinea pig. Um, you know, if guinea pigs needed such things

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dog.breath For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast