Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yucca walking sticks

Guide
    Thanks

What kind of yucca is that from? None of the stuff around here has stalks like that, but then I don't think any of them here are indigenous to the area.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bsred For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

Been using yucca for years for hiking sticks. Wife and I spend winters in New Mexico and I always try and bring at least 25 stalks home with me. Because we spend many hours on the desert looking for arrowheads I can be very selective when cutting them down so I pick the straightest ones I can.

I sand them until they are smooth and put 5 coats of Spar varnish on them. I sand the bottom down until a copper butt cap fits properly and then epoxy the butt cap on. I then put a rubber crutch tip over the copper butt cap. I also make a hole on the top end large enough for a hiking compass. On occasion I dremel an arrowhead shape near the handle end and glue ground up torquiouse into the shape and sand smooth. i also drill a hole at the top of the handle and attach a leather wrist strap on.

I donate a few each year to our hiking club members. One member made me a dozen pints of jam for a stick. Boy did she set the bar high for the rest of the people that want one, lol.

The white flowers are ediable and can be put in salads or just eaten right off the plant.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JEB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,640 Times in 324 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JEB View Post
    Been using yucca for years for hiking sticks. Wife and I spend winters in New Mexico and I always try and bring at least 25 stalks home with me. Because we spend many hours on the desert looking for arrowheads I can be very selective when cutting them down so I pick the straightest ones I can.

I sand them until they are smooth and put 5 coats of Spar varnish on them. I sand the bottom down until a copper butt cap fits properly and then epoxy the butt cap on. I then put a rubber crutch tip over the copper butt cap. I also make a hole on the top end large enough for a hiking compass. On occasion I dremel an arrowhead shape near the handle end and glue ground up torquiouse into the shape and sand smooth. i also drill a hole at the top of the handle and attach a leather wrist strap on.

I donate a few each year to our hiking club members. One member made me a dozen pints of jam for a stick. Boy did she set the bar high for the rest of the people that want one, lol.

The white flowers are ediable and can be put in salads or just eaten right off the plant.
    Sounds like yours are very nice. I agree, straight ones are the best. I like all the varied colors and patterns they have, too. I may get a Dremel tool and try your idea of inletting something nice into the stick.

I like to put the lanyard down below my hand. I don't use it much, just to hang the stick on my arm if I need to dig in my butt pack or take a picture. So I like having it out of the way most of the time.

Scout
    Thanks

I went out to my yard and cut a stalk...knocked off the big stuff and it's drying in the garage now. I'll sand and varnish it when it dries...any idea how long this stuff will take?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Newt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,640 Times in 324 Posts

I wait until the stalks are dead and dried out before I cut them. Middle of the winter is a good time. Or next spring. Whenever you need something to do.

Scout
    Thanks

I generally don't cut them until my wife says "When are you going to cut those stalks down?"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Newt For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just started reading "The Thousand Mile Summer" by Colin Fletcher, in which he uses a Yucca walking stick during his trans-California desert hike in 1958. There's a brutal scene early in the book where he uses it to kill a 4-foot-long rattlesnake. The Yucca walking stick is smashed to bits in the process -- maybe confirming what somebody previously said here about how Yucca doesn't have a lot of lateral/bending strength.
    I wouldn't feel too bad about the Yucca stick, I would probably smash to bits a 3/4" diameter stainless steel rod doing the same thing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to b owdenja For This Useful Post:

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

Default yucca walking/hiking sticks

I found your comments on yucca hiking sticks interesting as I acquired one last year in Ft Davis, TX. They are as good as you say. Now, I am home in Long Beach, CA and to my surprise and pleasure a yucca in my backyard that I transplanted from somewhere in the So Cal mountains has bloomed. It is just losing it's flowers.

I'm wondering if there is any particular time in your opinion to cut the stalk?

How long to cure it or any thing other than leave it to dry out?

Thanks for your thoughts or those of any other readers.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rick akers For This Useful Post:

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

hadn't seen the rest of the threads re timing when I posted this morning. Thanks.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rick akers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

We have a couple of stalks for walking sticks as well. I'm not sure if they were yucca or sotol

Bob

18. The Following User Says Thank You to CactusBob For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast