Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you eat Hickory nuts?

Tracker
    Thanks

Default Can you eat Hickory nuts?

I have a huge hickory tree that got knocked over in hurricane Irene.... now I am wondering, can you eat Hickory nuts?

Bushmaster Bush Class Basic Certified tennecedar's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,247 Times in 1,525 Posts

Oh Yeah!

Best when the nut hits the ground on it's own. I will tell ya the work is worth it. A dental pick helps get them out. I love it when the wife makes zucchini bread with them.

Scout
    Thanks

You are honestly asking if you can eat hickory nuts when you live in a place where they grow?
    Best food God ever made, after pecans (whack is a type of hickory).
    Crush the nuts, shell and all. Dump the bunch in a bucket of water. Shells sink, nuts float ( or the other way around, I've been in the army or lived in California too long, can't remember) but that's an easy way to get them separate them.
    I lived on hickory nuts and rabbits growing up. We weren't so poor thats all we had to eat but we ate a lot of it and it's all I liked as a kid, plus Bruusels sprouts and broccoli.

Tracker
    Thanks

So let me get this right, you get that green smelly fruit thing off of the tree that looks like a crab apple, bust it open and eat the nut in the middle? What does it taste like?

Bushmaster Bush Class Basic Certified tennecedar's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,247 Times in 1,525 Posts

They are probably still too green right now. When hickory nuts are ready the outer hull will split open revealing the nut. They have a distinctive smell in the outer hull. The inside nut is alot like a pecan but it has it's own flavor.

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks

Been eatin them for years.

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified nothinghead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,365 Times in 655 Posts

I just found one yesterday on a hike. Lots of black walnuts too. I'll have to give it a try.

Scout
    Thanks

Greetings All,

It's true that the genus of hickories, Carya, include some really incredible edible nuts. And as benajah mentions, the pecan is a hickory, Carya illinoisnensis. However, not all hickories produce nuts one would eat.

You know when you are shelling your own pecans, how the nut meat has two ridges that run down the exterior surfaces of the nut-halves? And how these furrows are filled with a reddish-brown dry pulp that if you mistakenly eat some of, is fantastically astringent and bitter. If your hickory is one of the species that go by the common names of bitternut, or pignut hickory, the nuts will taste like this disagreeable pulp from a pecan throughout, ergo their disagreeable names.

As tennecedar correctly states, ripe hickories, whether pecan or other, will have their husks turn brown and split spontaneously along the four seams (these seams distinguish the hickory nuts from the walnut/butternut group, genus Juglans that have no seams) and reveal the ripe nut. If your nuts of an edible species and are very immature, that is still green throughout, if they are young enough, immature hickory nuts were formerly (colonial times) made into pickles (stacked in spiced brine, with layers separated by a layer of hickory leaves) but that only works if the nuts are so young that they have not developed the trademark hard shells.

Thanks for reading.

edibleplantguy
    Last edited by edibleplantguy; 08-29-2011 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Fix last sentence.

Scout
    Thanks

But at least now you have enough wood to run the smoker for a while...

Guide
    Thanks

Shagbark nuts are delicious. Smooth bark ( or pignut ) are really bitter. Which kind of tree do you have?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast