Thread: bedsheet hammock FAIL!

coal burner Supporter
    Hobbyist
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,299 Times in 590 Posts
    Items for Sale

Default bedsheet hammock FAIL!

thought I'd post this up for a good laugh. tried to use a twin size sheet but instead of doubling it over, I tried to use it single layer. you can see the results in the pic. Pretty good reminder to listen to your elders who know better than you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. -Irish blessing

Axe Mob
    intermediate certification- requirements: 3 of 12, electives: 6 of 18 , outings: 0 of 11

Scout
    Thanks

My first one did the same thing lol but i drop 3 feet to the ground lol

Thanks

If you continue to use 550 cord you will experience a second fail. :-) There is a reason most people that use a hammock on a regular basis use a cord with close to 1700lbs breaking strength or more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redneck17 View Post
    thought I'd post this up for a good laugh. tried to use a twin size sheet but instead of doubling it over, I tried to use it single layer. you can see the results in the pic. Pretty good reminder to listen to your elders who know better than you.
    LOL!

I did the same once except I fell straight through and I had an audience applauding me!

Follow the grey one next time...he knows...

http://www.bushcraftusa.com/forum/sh...t=grey+hammock

Thanks

I use a bed sheet hammock, Folded and sewn up the side. Use corded 550 on the ends, through tubes sewn on the ends. Have had no problems with this setup at all.
    Last edited by Daywalker; 01-08-2012 at 07:27 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,819 Times in 8,900 Posts

Good sheet, doubled, and then laid up in pleats, not just gathered in a big bunch.
    Tie off ends however you feel best- my iron rings bound on with paracord seem durable and pretty easily adapted to different tie ropes.

I think the use of an insert pad helps with durability as well, but I know it adds to comfort and warmth. Downside is the added bulk.
    Nemo me impune lacessit ! Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    Turley Knife Club #59

Thanks

Ahh, I never like to see that lol. At least it didn't rip in the middle of the night while you were asleep.
    I like Daywalker's hammock, I usually just tie a hammock knot.

Banned Member Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,718 Times in 2,944 Posts

Redneck, that was a good first try at a hammock. But you might want to stop by the hammockforums.net and check out the DIY section. There is a metric tonne of information to mine out of there.

Remember, never hang higher then you are willing to fall and try never to hang over concrete. Bouncing can hurt more than your pride.

Our backyard is all patio. The previous owners wanted low maintenance and got it in spades. Three weeks ago Friday I was trying a new setup for my backyard hang. I was uncertain about the setup so I sat in it first to check it out. It held, so thought that I was good to go, but before I could pick up my feet to swing into the hammock I was dropped on my butt from about 2 feet. I found out that unless you manage to mangle things entirely and they have to do surgery to remove the shards, the only thing they do for a broke coccyx is pain management, oh and offer you a doughnut to sit on. Healing takes about 2 months. You will feel it with pretty much everything you do.

Still, its better than a concussion.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,117 Times in 1,175 Posts

Another thing that can be used is to buy a canvas drop cloth at the paint store, wash in hot water and tumble dry hot to do the initial shrinking and close up the fabric. Then sew (doubled over) with good nylon upholstery thread and use paracord or whatever down both sides in the channels.