Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swiss Surplus Wool Jacket

Scout
    Thanks

Default Swiss Surplus Wool Jacket

Anyone know anything about either of these? Really interested in sizing...

Swedish Military Wool Coat... these are 2 for $20, SM, MED, LG only. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=884891

Swiss Military Wool Dress Jacket... These come in a 5 pack for $20-$25. That's $5 for a wool jacket! I know the sleeves won't fit me, but if I had 5 of them I could get creative. Question is how does the body fit. XL is on back order. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=571903

Website says the Dress Jacket will be available on October 10. If I get a 5 pack of XL, and someone else has a 5 pack of Large, I'd love to trade one to make a vest.
    Last edited by McPherson; 09-20-2011 at 04:03 PM.

Tracker
    Thanks

Oh dang, what a deal.. I'm keeping my eye on that.

Too bad those jackets are usually small as hell. Damn... non-stocky Europeans... Damn them.

Oh yea, and if you can figure out the model year, or however it goes, then you should be able to find out measurements...
    Last edited by allfatherodin; 09-20-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Packmaster Actual Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,823 Times in 3,639 Posts

I would suspect that they run athletic in cut.
    _____
    Trail Mix - MM's with obstacles
    Tracker Pack Member #7 - Axe Mob Brand Compliance Officer
    http://packmastergear.blogspot.com/

Scout
    Thanks

I bought that wool dress jacket above from my local surplus store last year to go with my swedish wool pants. Gotta coordinate, you know...

Mine is a M-L, it says C52 on it but I can't find any other markings. In general, without taking out the measuring tape...

The collar is fairly narrow, high and stiff, the shoulders are wide, the sleeves are long, coming down to the first joint on my thumb, but also fairly small in diameter. The waist is cut medium, the length of the coat is a little lower than you might think, it comes down to 6in below my beltline. The rear has vertical pleat things so you can bend over and move without pulling on the back. The quality of the material and manufacture is top notch.

Overall they are kind of a throwback to the times when the average guy was 5'9" and 155 lbs, but not as narrow across the waist as some european clothes I've tried.

Scout
    Thanks

Well, I must be a sucker for a deal... I went ahead and bought a 5 pack of the dress jacket in XL. Website says that they're expecting delivery on October 10. I'm definitely going to have to extend the sleeves. I'm 6'5" but I only weigh about 170 lbs. My only fear is that the shoulders will be too narrow, which would be difficult to alter. In that case I can at least make one of them into a vest. And for $25, that's still worth it to me.

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McPherson View Post
    ...I'm 6'5" but I only weigh about 170 lbs. My only fear is that the shoulders will be too narrow, which would be difficult to alter. In that case I can at least make one of them into a vest. And for $25, that's still worth it to me.
    Hey McPherson,

Did your order come in?
    I'm 6'6"/240lbs and was about to order the same wool coats from SG. Did the XL fit as far a the shoulders and sleeves are concerned?
    Any guesses on measurements would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Moderator/Staff Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,916 Times in 6,397 Posts

Little too dressy for me, but I bet its warm. SG is hit and miss, but Ive bought my boys several coats and pants for playin in the woods from em. Cheap, and since they run small, its perfect.

Tracker
    Thanks

I had the opportunity to try one of these on and I'll echo knochelbiter's comment about the fit. Even as a "medium" sized individual I found the cut of these to be rather slim. If you are broad in the shoulders or chest the fit may be a big tight. They are nicely made though and have a lot of neat interior pockets. There are metal "hooks" around the waist which I assume are made to support a pistol belt or something, but I personally wouldn't be looking at one of these for an "outdoor" jacket.

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice!
    I'm new to the bushcraft/survival arena. I am about done with a bug-out-bag but was lacking in the warm, wool clothing department. I figured military surplus was probably the way to go from a quality/durability standpoint.

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ahlongslide View Post
    Hey McPherson,

Did your order come in?
    I called them yesterday about that. They're waiting to ship them cause I also ordered a 2 pack of the Swedish wool leg warmers which weren't due to arrive at their warehouse until... today! Ah ha! Hopefully they'll have my order shipped out in the next couple of days. I'll keep you posted.

About the fit... I'm pretty sure that the shoulders are going to be too narrow for me, but I'm planning some modifications regardless. I want the sleeves to go out from the body, not just hang straight down so you can't lift your arms above your head without exposing your belly. But hey, its a 5 pack... get creative with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast