Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The hardwoodsman tab requirements

Hardwoodsman Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 60,556 Times in 12,684 Posts

Thumbs up The hardwoodsman tab requirements

Hi,guys

First things first WATCH THE VIDEOS BEFORE YOU ASK ME A QUESTION PLEASE!

Here's a link to a pdf that you can print out for stages one and two. That way you can take them with you and will have a refresher on what the requirements for each task are. (My apologies, the pdf is not current. It needs updating but I haven't had the time.)
    http://www.turleyknives.com/apps/documents/

So here are the requirements to earn the patch:
    Complete stage one challenges (in any order) before moving to stage two challenges. EXCEPT FOR THE FIRE IN THE RAIN TASK. YOU MAY MOVE TO STAGE TWO WITHOUT COMPLETING IT. YOU MAY DO THE FIRE IN THE RAIN TASK AT ANY TIME DURING STAGE ONE OR TWO.

ALL TASKS MUST BE COMPLETED IN THE WOODS. NO BACK YARDS AND NO BESIDE THE TRUCK SKILLS. THAT IS IF YOU ARE ABLE, IF YOU ARE NOT THEN SEND ME A P.M. AND WE'LL GET IT STRAIGHTENED OUT.

All friction fire challenges must show A. materials gathered and used (you did that) B. Must show a quick shot of the ember being formed and completed (lit and smoking) in the hearth board.

NOW HEAR THIS

These are video only submissions.

This whole thing is arbitrary and at my discretion on what gets a go and what doesn't.

Now for "the way it is" talk.
    If it chaps your rear that video only submissions are all that allowed don't enter these challenges.
    If it chaps your rear that I might no-go a video you spent all day on, don't enter this course.
    Most of all, have fun, practice these skills as hardcore as you can and you'll get more than patch at the end.

And remember, guys you know if you're half assing it (pardon my language). Like my old drills used to say, if you're half assing it you're only hurting yourself. This is about training that will keep you alive or keep you out of trouble.
    Just remember that if you do earn the patch then you won't have slouches in your ranks because of the strict requirements.
    So have fun and get it done!

1: Although I highly recommend you being bush class basic certified it's not necessary if you want to do the hardwoodsman challenges. I recommend it because I don't really teach much in these examples below, I'm not a great teacher so I avoid it if at all possible. These tasks are built off the foundation you get with bushclass basic so if you have never done some of this stuff then you should start there.
    If you have or if you just want to give it a shot anyway then come on in, we'd be glad to have you.

Please bear in mind that most of these video examples below were not done with the intention of having a challenge like this. I did them just for fun. So some of them will not display the full rules that are in the challenges. They are for a rough example only, the rules written above trump anything in the videos in most cases. If you have questions please ask.

2:FIRE CHAIN
    *Note that fire chain is all done in one sitting. Don't post that as separate tasks*
    Acquire all parts for friction fire method of your choice on site. A knife and man-made cordage are allowed.
    All parts must be gathered and made on site (If it is the bow drill method you choose then hand hold and bow must be made on site also).
    Make a friction fire using NATURAL tinder gathered on site. If it's wet then you'll have to use the split wood and shavings method.
    Here's a vid on how to do it if you need it.

Once you have a fire going you must char natural material of your choice WITHOUT container or man made vessel. Be creative here. You can use the punkwood method I show here if you need to.

Once you have your char then you must build a second fire using a steel striker and flint with that char you just made. (fire begets fire)
    Here's video on how to use the charred punk

3.MAN IN THE CREEK DRILL
    As fast as is SAFELY possible is the key here. Waist high flames. Ignitions source can be any that you NORMALLY carry in your fire kit. Dump whatever you have in your kit and light it. DO NOT JUMP IN the water. I don't want you getting dead on one of these challenges. This is a simulation. If you do jump in the water you'll get an automatic no-go.. No need to run like a madman, just move with purpose. If at all possible, do this in a river bottom, creek bottom, lake shore etc.

ALL SPLIT WOOD FIRES MUST BE LIT WITH A FIRE STEEL AND BY USING EITHER SCRAPINGS OR SHAVINGS (unless otherwise stated in a specific challenge). NO OTHER TINDER IS ALLOWED. SEE THESE VIDEOS FOR REFERENCE

**** I NEED TO SEE A CLOSE UP IN AT LEAST ONE OF YOU VIDEOS OF YOU LIGHTING THE SPLIT WOOD FIRE AS DESCRIBED ABOVE. ***
    4.SPLIT WOOD FIRE THREE TIMES THE PREP
    You must start three fires consecutively. That's the only way to insure you made three times the prep. Ignition source is by ferro rod only.

5. SOLO OVERNIGHTER
    NO PETS ALLOWED. I want you guys to get a feel of going totally solo i f you haven't already.

6. BUILD A NATURAL SHELTER WITH NO TOOLS AND OVERNIGHT IN IT
    Watch the entire video. Important safety info is in there.

7. NAVIGATE TO A SPOT YOU'VE NEVER BEEN
    using a map and compass. NO GPS' allowed. You must pick a spot on the topo map and navigate off-trail to that spot using your land nav skills.
    DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING

l]

8. SPLIT WOOD FIRE IN THE RAIN
    You are allowed a tarp for your camera but not to keep your prep dry. Use only bark (natural materials) or you're rain coat/clothing you are wearing to keep your prep dry. Ignition source is by fero rod only. Tinder is inner heart wood scrapings or shavings only
    I shouldn't have to say this but NO FATWOOD OR BIRCH BARK ALLOWED
    No, light sprinkles won't count. Be ready to be mad at me if you do it in light rain, It will be totally subjective because there is no way to gauge this. If I think it's not raining hard enough then I'll no go it. So, if you don't NEED rain gear while doing this then it's not raining hard enough. And don't put on rain gear in a sprinkle to try to convince me it's raining harder than it is. heh.
    Also there's another side of the coin. Don't do this is a toad strangling down pour. Use common sense. This is not a skill you would use in that situation. In something like that you would seek shelter or build shelter and then you'd make a fire under it's protection. Use common sense.
    Edit as of 3/5/14 These videos must have audio. Don't put music over it, don't mute the audio and don't use a case that blocks the mic. I need to be able to hear the rain to get a sense of how hard it's coming down, I can't do that if it has music over it or if there is no audio.

YOU MAY MOVE TO STAGE TWO WITHOUT COMPLETING THIS TASK. YOU MAY DO THE FIRE IN THE RAIN TASK AT ANY TIME DURING STAGE ONE OR TWO.
    IF YOU LIVE IN A DESERT ENVIRONMENT THAT GETS VERY LITTLE RAIN, P.M. ME FOR A WAIVER ON THIS TASK. I'LL COME UP WITH SOMETHING ELSE FOR YOU TO DO INSTEAD OF FIRE IN THE RAIN.
    I can't explain it any better than the man himself.

9. ONE HAND, WEAK HAND SPLIT WOOD FIRE
    If you're right handed then use only your left. If you left handed then use only your right.
    No squaw wood (twigs), no fatwood and no birch bark allowed.
    Use whatever tools you normally carry in your pack to get the job done. Trust me, you'll need them. MUST IGNITE WITH FIRESTEEL

POST YOUR VIDEO EVIDENCE IN THIS THREAD http://www.bushcraftusa.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=47737

NOTHING PRIOR WILL COUNT
    All videos will need to be done for this patch specifically.

Have fun and good luck.

Be sure to keep track of your post numbers so you can send them to me for review and I can give you the go ahead for stage two.

Stage two requirements found here
    http://www.bushcraftusa.com/forum/sh...09#post1100909

DISCLAIMER
    *Myself, Turley knives, bushcraftusa.com or it's owners are not responsible if you hurt yourself (or worse) while doing these tasks. Use common sense and don't do any of this if you don't know what you are doing.*

Those who have earned the Hardwoodsman patch, those who have prepared and persevered.
    #02 kcardwel
    #03 Sweeney guy
    #04 Luvhambo
    #05 Cockeyedhunter
    #06 Brainchild
    Last edited by Iz; 06-30-2014 at 09:23 AM.
    Romans 10:9
    Turley Knives web site
    Remember the birds
    youtube channel
    Turley Knives sub-forum
    My blog about Turley knives and stuff
    http://turleycustomknives.blogspot.com/
    "See the High Priest He took my place, when the Judge looks at me He sees His Son's face." -16 Horsepower

Da Merchant of dirt. Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,238 Times in 2,345 Posts

I am all over this, I am even going cross-country in the wheelchair for the navigation portion...I want to find this quarry I saw on a map.

I will be a good challenge, and I'll be proud to wear the tab!

Good stuff Iz.
    Last edited by One Legged Josh; 10-10-2011 at 09:35 PM.
    Something witty.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to One Legged Josh For This Useful Post:

Dr. Fishguts Bush Class Basic Certified kgd's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,367 Times in 456 Posts

Dang that's cool Iz. There are some real challenges in there. LOL as long as I can bring my left hand for #5, we should be alright!

Vendor
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by One Legged Josh View Post
    I am all over this, I am even going cross-country in the wheelchair for the navigation portion...I want to find this quarry I saw on a map.

I will be a good challenge, and I'll be proud to wear the tab!

Good stuff Iz.
    You're one of the most capable people I know , Josh and you know how much I respect that about you. So don't take this as a bad thing, you can most definitely take the 4 wheeler for the land nav part. Do not risk screwing something up for this. I know you have no quit in you but this is about being smart. You know your limits so I'll shut up and let you get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by kgd View Post
    Dang that's cool Iz. There are some real challenges in there. LOL as long as I can bring my left hand for #5, we should be alright!
    t.m.i. brother. waaay t.m.i.
    Turley Knives web site
    Remember the birds
    youtube channel
    Turley Knives sub-forum
    "See the High Priest He took my place, when the Judge looks at me He sees His Son's face." -16 Horsepower

Hardwoodsman Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,906 Times in 2,324 Posts
    Items for Sale

Are 5 and 6 two separate or can we do those all at once?

Mod Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,943 Times in 4,158 Posts

intense.
    Nights camped in 2014---21, so far.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL------->http://www.youtube.com/user/josephallen19

Vendor
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeneyguy View Post
    Are 5 and 6 two separate or can we do those all at once?
    You can do them at once daddy-o.
    Turley Knives web site
    Remember the birds
    youtube channel
    Turley Knives sub-forum

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Iz For This Useful Post:

Vendor
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RangerJoe View Post
    intense.
    It'll be fun though, right?
    Last edited by Iz; 10-10-2011 at 09:58 PM.
    Turley Knives web site
    Remember the birds
    youtube channel
    Turley Knives sub-forum

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks

I'm way in on this one! Thanks for doing this! I can't wait to do it!

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,680 Times in 1,119 Posts

Nice, I'm on it! there are some real challenges in there. Several are things on my list of personal challenges too. You've already got me thinking up plans
    "It is one of the blessings of wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy." --Kephart

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast