Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Packing Eggs?

Thanks

One word... Powdered.

Some think they're nasty, but in the woods they work.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NELABushman For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Dehydrate those bad boys!

In a nutshell: Scrable them, chop them up, and put them on a tray in your oven on low (110-115F) for ~12-24 hours! (May take longer or shorter depending on your oven) Don't use milk or oils while scrambling them (if they're going to be stored for any length of time). I make omlettes on a nonstick pack before choppin' them up. They're done when they're brittle and rock hard. You'll want to spice them up a bit, as they taste a little bit different when you rehydrate them.

This solution isn't for everyone, but you can carry a LOT of eggs for a VERY small ammount of weight! The tradeoff is taste! I don't think they taste BAD, but they definitely taste different!

They take about 15 minutes in some water on some coals to rehydrate! They will rehydrate if left for 24 hours in room temperature water, but the center of some will be a little bit crunchy! Think Mountain House, only less salty.

I've tried hard boiling them to preserve nutrition, but apparently the egg white doesn't rehydrate well at all until you mix it in with the yoke. Go chemisty!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to twyggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If you take store bought eggs that have been refridgerated, how long do you think they will stay good for?

Tracker
    North Country of NY in the foothills of the Adirondacks
    Thanks

Not as long as fresh ones. The eggs from the store are usually a week old anyways when you buy them. But they would probably be okay for a few days. I know everyone is a fan of cracking the shells and putting them in a separate container, but the shell itself is one of the most amazing and best containers for longer shelf life you could hope for. A farm fresh egg can last for days kept this way. Hens will lay one at a time naturally and won't sit on them to brood until they get a good clutch full. So, at 14 hours of daylight needed per egg, for eight eggs you are looking at many days outside in a nest at ambient air temperature and they are still viable at that point. Once you take them out of the shell they degrade rapidly, in terms of nutrients and flavor, and they draw and grow bacteria like crazy. The shell with the mucus coating left behind from the laying acts as a bacterial barrier to keep the egg inside intact. So my motto is "Dont Crack Em, Just Pack Em."

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AAtkinson For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Large mouth plastic jar, like the pre-sweetend Kool-Aid jars. Fill with two or three eggs and corn meal. If you get them full, nothing shifts and they don't crack open. I can always use the corn meal for cooking.

pat

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pat_t For This Useful Post:

Ultra Moderator Supreme Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,139 Times in 6,034 Posts
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER View Post
    I use 1 of these, 3 or 4 days worth of eggs and never broke one. Thought about putting them in a nalgene but thats one more thing to clean and was a little worried about contamination
    I use the 6 egg carrier of this type. Works great. Never broke an egg.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leif For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,945 Times in 1,802 Posts

I bring my hen with me.

Thanks

before the day of plastic egg cariers, would put the eggs in the oatmeal bag . those plastic Easter eggs, with a little oatmeal or rice in with the egg ,keeps em from ratteling, works good for just one or two

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified The Dude's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SkogKniv View Post
    I use the 6 egg carrier of this type. Works great. Never broke an egg.
    I have used these before,but I'm trying for either compact or multi carry (eggs in corn meal).
    I like every ones comments It was head scratcher for a couple of days. The only thing I could think of was this plastic carrier. Just wanted to see what other options were out there thanks everyone.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to The Dude For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 638 Posts

A traditional method was to pack them in a can/barrel of lard, along with your pork chops, bacon, or what ever pork you had.

So you have frying lard, and keeps eggs from cracking.......Made the trip accross the country like this on the wagon trains.

This resulted in the term, " Pork barrel" used in politics..........

17. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter63 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast