Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Packing Eggs?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 857 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    Pretty much the same as madmax, but we used the tall, thin olive bottles. Yes they're glass, but they seemed to keep the eggs more "separate" and easier to pour out just how many you wanted.
    This was mentioned in George Herters Bull Cook Book and does work well.
    Herters cook books are a good reference..... if taken with a grain of salt.

Missouri Woodsman Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,282 Times in 2,146 Posts
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by pat_t View Post
    Large mouth plastic jar, like the pre-sweetend Kool-Aid jars. Fill with two or three eggs and corn meal. If you get them full, nothing shifts and they don't crack open. I can always use the corn meal for cooking.

pat
    This is one of those dammit why didn't I think of that moments. Excellent idea here. This is what I will be doing next trip out!
    "When we are in hand-to-hand conflict with the world, the flesh, and the devil himself, neat little Biblical confectionery is like shooting lions with a pea-shooter; God needs a man who will let go and deliver blows right and left as hard as he can hit, in the power of the Holy Ghost. Nothing but forked-lightning Christians will count." C.T. Studd

Thanks

Default eggs

Do any of you guys carry eggs with you in your packs? I wanted to know how this would be done considering they are rather fragile

Thanks

Camping section at Walmart had an egg carrier.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gunner65 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,827 Times in 1,267 Posts

Did you try doing a search? This one's been covered a few times I think.

Here's a thread I remember reading before with a few options/ideas.

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...highlight=eggs

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeadyBrew For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Scramble them ahead of time and put them in a Nalgene bottle; you can use them all at once, or for a few days; but one bottle can hold a bunch of eggs; And no shells or mess to deal with.
    The other option is to carry hard boiled eggs instead of the "ready to break" in the shell variety.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,207 Times in 1,177 Posts

Eggs can be left out of refrigeratation, just take note that 1 day out of the frige removes a week off of the expiratation date. Odds are that if you take eggs out, you won't need to bing them back.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,591 Times in 584 Posts

Default Why we use Nalgene bottles as egg carriers.

My wife and I carry raw eggs, in the shell, in 1-litre Nalgene bottles. Just wrap each egg in a paper towel, then put them in the bottle. They will wedge themselves in nicely, the paper towel prevents them knocking and cracking against each other, and the bottle will prevent them from getting crushed, even if your drop your pack hard. A 1-liter bottle holds about a half dozen eggs.

Once you have used up some of the eggs and there's room in the bottle, stuff a sock or other soft item in the bottle to take up some of the space in the bottle to prevent the eggs from knocking around. We have used this technique for a decade and a half of canoe tripping and we've never even cracked an egg.

There are advantages to this method:
    1) The container is crush-proof.
    2) The container is leak-proof, so if an egg were to break, it would not make a mess over all your other gear.
    3) You probably already own a Nalgene bottle, and if you don't, you can get one for a dollar or so at a discount store.
    4) The bottle is something you can use for other purposes once the eggs are consumed, so you're not forced to carry around a single-purpose container that takes up space and is useless for the rest of the trip.
    5) Carrying eggs in their own shell means the eggs will resist spoilage much longer than if you were to break them and pour them into a bottle.
    6) The paper towel used as packing material is then used to clean up greasy dishes and then tossed into the fire.

Hope this helps,
    - Martin
    Last edited by PineMartyn; 01-19-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Tracker
    Thanks

Default eggs

Don't buy store bought eggs if you can help it. Find local fresh eggs (laid within a day or two) and the won't need refrigerated if kept cool. They will last for at least a couple weeks. I live in Spain and never refrigerate my eggs. buy eggs local where you can visit the farm and see the chickens. Clean healthy living conditions help produce better eggs from these stress free chicks. I do this stateside and chances are once you try a truly fresh egg you won't go back to the mega market ones.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to aldern.i For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Get the little pint cartons of egg beaters or the equivelant. They have them in different flavors even. They are just like scrambled eggs and can be used in any recipe that calls for egg. You can freeze them in their carton ahead of time and let them thaw in the pack.
    I eat them almost every morning for breakfast at home. I actually have an egg beater omlet in front of me this minute.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Willson For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast