Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Packing Eggs?

Thanks

If you are going in to a camp and then staying at that camp and not moving camp daily, here is another option. My dad came up with this idea many years ago. Use a size of bottle that will hold the number of eggs you want to take. Carefully break the eggs open into the bottle and throw out the shells. You will need to fill the bottle to the top with eggs. Once the bottle is full the eggs cant easily shift around and stay relatively intact with very little if any mixing. Come time to use the eggs they pour out of the bottle one by one. Once out of the shell like this the shelf life is rather short and you will want to use them up in a couple days. Also once you have used some eggs out of the bottle then they wont transport so well since there is now room in the bottle for mixing and sloshing. For a stationary camp, this method works surprisingly well.

Banned Member
    Thanks

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bockster13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Years ago you could take the glass jar that Alka Seltzer came in and crack an egg then dump it in. You kept adding eggs until the jar was full. Then you could pour them out an egg at a time. If you could find a jar or something that size (the width of an Alka Seltzer) you could carry them that way.

Thanks

Carry them in the shell or buy powdered eggs. Do not crack them into a bottle and carry them tat way unless it's REALLY cold outside. Even then it's not a good idea. Eggs, once out of their shell, need to be used right away or they go off VERY quickly.

But, hermetically sealed in the shell, they can last several days. Especially if they are unwashed.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,262 Times in 826 Posts

Crack them into a container (I use a glass olive jar, maybe it's 6-8 oz.) and pour them out as you need them... one yolk usually comes out with the right amount of clear stuff, too. I don't worry about spoilage or getting sick... people have told me it's fine for a week or more, but I wouldn't ever need that long.

Elder Bush Class Basic Certified
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,402 Times in 9,973 Posts

Merged
    Nie pogrywaj ze mna

Thanks
    Thanked 3,444 Times in 835 Posts

3-season I crack them open and pour them in a Nalgene. 4-season, put the Nalgene in an insulated sleeve, like the granite gear air cooler. Works like a charm to about -10F. When you get to -40 it gets ugly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 745 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skab View Post
    I do close to the same. Crack them and put into sandwich baggies, then put the baggies in my extra nalgene. Hell, I even cook them in the baggies, in boiling water, from time to time.
    Cooking in the bag is a great way to make eggs. An omelet in a bag, nice and fluffy.

Guide
    Thanks

Used Pringles can stuffed with paper or whatever. Raw eggs in the shell will last a long time. In many countries, eggs aren't even refrigerated in the store, they are on the shelf with the other goods. Nonetheless, consider the source as store bought eggs can be several weeks old.

Not always easy, but you can cook an egg on a stick, so in terms of what you are carrying, the shell can be your pot too. Good luck!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abo4ster For This Useful Post:

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

I always hard boil a couple eggs to bring along. They fit in any tight part of my food bag, which I usually keep stuffed in my small pot.
    Good for breakfast and great for a snack on the trail.
    No clean up needed either if you're keeping it simple.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast