Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any blackpowder shooters ?

Thanks
    Thanked 31,841 Times in 9,099 Posts

Default Any blackpowder shooters ?

Do we have any BP shooters ? What knds of rifles and pistols do you prefer ?
    I am partial to a Lyman Plains rifle in .54 caliber, and a Ruger Old Army revolver in .457 cal.
    Nemo me impune lacessit ! Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    Turley Knife Club #59

Guide
    Thanks

Default Black Powder

I have been a black powder shooter for more than thirty years and have an assortment of rifles, shotguns, fowlers, pistols and revolvers - something for all occasions. I've built a few from components obtained from Track of The Wolf such as this .54 Hawken. Also made the horn and pouch. I have always enjoyed shooting black powder guns and have dabbled a bit in BP cartridge guns also. I got a 45/70 sharps after the Quigley movie came out and have had a ball with it. Its more accurate than most folks would believe. Part of Stueben County here in NYS is potato growing country and there are fields that stretch out maybe 1500 yards long. In the Springtime those fields make for great long range shooting. Those big 500 grain Sharps bullets take a long time to cover the distance. But its fun to watch the dust rise up when they hit.

[IMG][/IMG]

Guide
    Thanks

I shot my first BP rifle in 1970. When I was finally big enough to suppor the weight of the loooooonnnnnng barrel, 13 pound kentucky rifle that had been in the family for 200 years.
    We also had a Hopkins and Allen .45 underhammer buggy rifle that was amazing. light, short, fast handling, and accurate.
    Currently I have a collection of Colt cap and ball revolvers. a 3rd model dragoon with the detachable rifle stock, an 1860 army, a navy, and a sweet 5 shot 1848 pocket model
    I don't shoot them much because it is very difficult to optain the powder where I live.

Guide
    Thanks

Have you ever found a colt pattern ( rear sight in the hammer nose ) that didn't shoot high? I had a Uberti 32 cal 1848 a while back and it shot a foot high. I also have a dragoon that I ground the hammer and reformed the sight notch until I could put 'em in the black. It shoots conicals very well, but its a hefty thing to carry.

Elder
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,780 Posts

Flintlock,
    That's one sexy rifle!
    I like the sunburst wood...gorgeous!
    PMZ

Guide
    Thanks

Thanks. Thats curly maple stained with aqua fortis. Its a 17 century stain made from a depleted acid with iron filings. It turns white wood a nice shade of brown when heat is applied.

Desert Fox

Beautiful rifle, flintlock!

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,982 Times in 1,034 Posts

I've shot blackpowder... but not in a long time, I need to drag my T/C Hawken out and play with it a bit.

I'm wanting to pick an older BP rifle up to make a trade gun project out of, though I may just do it with a older single shot shotgun.
    My Photography Blog
    Storm Chaser, HAM Radio Operator, Adventurer, Explorer, Student of the Old Ways

Guide
    Thanks

"Trade Guns" were essentially single shot shotguns - smooth bore flintlocks capable of digesting a handful of shot or large caliber round balls depending on the intended game. They had an over-sized trigger guard permitting them to be fired while wearing mittens and a serpent shaped side plate. They are quite popular at rendezvous these days.

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,982 Times in 1,034 Posts

I'll have to be on the lookout for a rendezvous in my area so I can get some ideas.

Thanks for the info.
    My Photography Blog
    Storm Chaser, HAM Radio Operator, Adventurer, Explorer, Student of the Old Ways

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast