Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powdered Eggs!!!

Guide
    Thanks

Our local Cost -U-Less had Ova-Eze. A foil/mylar type pouch containing 1 dozen dehydrated Whole eggs. I bought a bunch. about $3.79 IIRC

I've eaten 3 or 4 packs. mainly as a supliment to fried rice. Have also just cooked them up by themselves, like scrambled eggs. Not as good as farm fresh. But still, pretty darn good.
    Texture and flavor are fine.

Banned Member
    Thanks

we make our own powdered eggs

Thanks

I've had scrambled egg mixes from beprepared, honeyville, and the OvaEasy eggs. Best i've found so far is from Augason Farms. I add a teaspoon of butter powder and teaspoon of powdered milk to the mix in a ziploc. Augason Farms carries it in a #2 1/2 can.

http://www.augasonfarms.com/Products...g-Mix-9-oz-Can

Thanks

I just tried the OvaEasy dehydrated eggs yesterday and today. The had the texture of the eggs you get at hotel buffets (Also often dehydrated eggs) but they barely tasted like eggs, and tasted more like cardboard or some non-descript hardtack. I really wanted to like them because I need emergency storage protein options - especially for breakfast, and also because they are produced locally. I even cooked them in a bit of bacon grease the first time to help the taste, but it was like music without the treble and bass.

That said, they are far better - and cheaper - than Mountain House freeze dried eggs. Those are so bad I literally started to gag when I tried them. Those were hideous.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mndless View Post

maybe I am the doom sayer... crap...
    Dude, you do not need to feel bad about this. You gave us good information which we need to know. Thanks man.

Like you said, most everything is good in moderation. Thanks for looking out for your brothers and sisters.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 1,355 Posts

When I was in USN onboard ship powdered eggs were what was for breakfast; never could get past the green color of them.
    Lose yourself in nature and you will find yourself at home!

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carnivore View Post
    I just tried the OvaEasy dehydrated eggs yesterday and today. The had the texture of the eggs you get at hotel buffets (Also often dehydrated eggs) but they barely tasted like eggs, and tasted more like cardboard or some non-descript hardtack. I really wanted to like them because I need emergency storage protein options - especially for breakfast, and also because they are produced locally. I even cooked them in a bit of bacon grease the first time to help the taste, but it was like music without the treble and bass.

That said, they are far better - and cheaper - than Mountain House freeze dried eggs. Those are so bad I literally started to gag when I tried them. Those were hideous.
    My experience with powdered eggs is if you add some onions and peppers, some sausage, your seasoning mix of choice and a liberal dose of Tabasco Green, they aren't half bad. On par with a cheap breakfast burrito. YMMV ...a lot!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MJDavis View Post
    I have bought the cans of powdered eggs here: http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_...%20-%2046%20oz

They taste fairly good for powdered eggs.
    Took these into the BWCA (had to repackage - no cans allowed). Not bad, for powdered eggs.

Looked here but shipping was a bit steep for the smaller amount I needed.
    http://www.nutriomstore.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post
    I've had scrambled egg mixes from beprepared, honeyville, and the OvaEasy eggs. Best i've found so far is from Augason Farms. I add a teaspoon of butter powder and teaspoon of powdered milk to the mix in a ziploc. Augason Farms carries it in a #2 1/2 can.

http://www.augasonfarms.com/Products...g-Mix-9-oz-Can
    I use these also. I also like the fact they offer lots of stuff in the smaller cans.

Guide Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,029 Times in 1,326 Posts

IMO powdered eggs and dry milk are both best used as components in other recipes. Neither are very good alone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12