Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a flint striker

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified Keepntime's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Making a flint striker

I would love to see pics and ideas on making flint strikers. I am going to make my own and want pics and info on how and technique on making one.

Bushmaster Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,303 Times in 4,177 Posts
    http://www.facebook.com/mpknives

MP Knives Sub Forum
    My YouTube
    http://mpknives.com

"So many of our natural instincts are smothered by society, and much of our daily lives are directed by false goals, dictated to us by others. Even in this day and age, with our sophisticated technology and developed culture, it must still be important, just occasionally, to find a wild place." ~Guy Grieve "Call of the wild: My Escape to Alaska"

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified The Dude's Avatar
    Thanks

How teck nick cool are you going.

Thanks

Not sure I want to make one with kinda of a design maybe. Not sure if I will be able to pull it off. Never really forged anything.

Camp Cook Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,450 Times in 678 Posts

Thanks Matt for posting all of those videos! My favorite one is hwkn50 who makes a very nice striker in 9:35 and tests it. I liked his bending jig so much that I had one made!

While he has decorative twists and used oil to quench, I skip the twists and quench the cherry red steel in plain old water.

There are lots of right ways and if it makes sparks when you're done, that's all that matters!

If you don't want to forge a striker, just grind the ridges off of the narrow edge of the file you use to sharpen your axe; it will make good sparks, too!
    Last edited by TheProfessor; 12-23-2011 at 06:40 PM.
    ...and I'll see you soon!
    YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/70TheProfessor?feature=mhee
    Illinois Slumdog #3

Thanks

Cool thanks

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified The Dude's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keepntime View Post
    Not sure I want to make one with kinda of a design maybe. Not sure if I will be able to pull it off. Never really forged anything.
    That is the crazinest about this it magically makes you want to do stuff you normaly wouldn't in your everyday life.

Have fun and post it pics even if you don't think it's , cause i bet there are plenty of people here that will prove you wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 343 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
    Thanks Matt for posting all of those videos! My favorite one is hwkn50 who makes a very nice striker in 9:35 and tests it. I liked his bending jig so much that I had one made!

While he has decorative twists and used oil to quench, I skip the twists and quench the cherry red steel in plain old water.

There are lots of right ways and if it makes sparks when you're done, that's all that matters!

If you don't want to forge a striker, just grind the ridges off of the narrow edge of the file you use to sharpen your axe; it will make good sparks, too!
    I have a 6" file with no cutting ridges on the edges that I have been practicing with. It will make sparks but only if I hold my mouth just right. Would it work better if the edge was flat instead of rounded? I am using a piece of quartz instead of flint because that's what's available here.

I like the idea of using a file as a striker because it's a useful tool for other things too.

Camp Cook Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,450 Times in 678 Posts

Mine was still pretty flat after I ground off the ridges. I put the tip end against the charcloth and hit the file with a glancing blow with a sharp edge angled downward-- like shaving. I used a fairly big piece of charcloth to increase the probability of sparks hitting it. If you are making sparks, just work on getting them on the char.

I made a video of my file striking efforts. It is called Log Cabin Fire - Part 2. I think I told you about the same stuff just now, though. If you're getting sparks, it shouldn't be long till you make a fire!

All of my recent strikers are made from round stock, and the striking edge is rounded. It doesn't seem to matter. Hold your mouth right and keep trying!
    Last edited by TheProfessor; 12-24-2011 at 07:05 PM.
    ...and I'll see you soon!
    YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/70TheProfessor?feature=mhee
    Illinois Slumdog #3

Thanks
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 343 Posts

Professor, I watched your video, making a fire using a file as a striker. That seems to be the best way for me, since I carry a 6" file anyway for axe and tomahawk sharpening. I also made some char cloth (pretty easy) using a kiwi polish can, some old T shirt, and the barbeque grill. I bought some jute twine for tinder. And I made some "flints" by busting a piece of quartz with a hammer. Then I started the night's fire in the woodstove in the house using my file, flint, twine, and charcloth. It all worked great. I am keeping all my fire makings in the kiwi can, and I've made a simple sheath for the file using a piece of tubular nylon webbing material.

Making sparks is still the biggest challenge, but I'll keep working on it. It seems that the edge of the flint needs to be really sharp, like a knife edge. And if I scrunch my mouth off to the left a little that seems to help too. Thanks for your help, and the good video.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast