Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Squirrel recipe

Thanks

Soaking them in a brine of salt water (NOT "Iodized salt! Don't need the metallic taste of the Iodine!) for couple hours helps break-down the lactic acid in the muscle fibers, and gets rid of a lot of the 'gamey' taste for most. Use Kosher or Sea Salt instead.

Cook using any meat recipe!

I made Squirrel Sheppard's Pie last year, and it was a hit!

~ Sky
    "Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run! He HATES that!"

My YouTube channel is:"WMICommissioner"
    Bushcraft Basic Classes: 6/13 Required; 2/5 Electives; 3/5 Outings - 1/1 Overnights:: Axe Mob

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SkyPainter For This Useful Post:

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified Nature Girl's Avatar
    Thanks

Shake 'n Bake Squirrel

2 to 4 squirrels
    1 pkg. barbecue-flavor Shake 'n Bake mix

Cut squirrels into 5 pieces each: 2 front legs, 2 back legs, and back. If squirrel are large or old, cover with water in a saucepan and heat for 15 mins., then drain well. If squirrels are young, boiling is not necessary; simply rinse young squirrels in cold water.
    Place moist squirrel pieces in shaker bag. Add mix and shake to coat. Place pieces in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 425 *F for 30 to 35 mins. or until crispy. The squirrel will be very tender.

This was my son's recipe.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nature Girl For This Useful Post:

GoodOlBoy

Besides the basic squirrel fricasee, you can take several large squirrels, put them in a crock pot, cover with two jars of "wet" chili fixins and cook on low for around five or six hours (check water levels often). Dip the bones out,meat should have fallen off by now, add beans, water etc and bring it up to high for an hour. If dealing with particularly tough old squirrels start out by adding a few cans of regular old yellow beer. Every other hour when you add water also add another can of beer. Serve with cornbread, or rice.

Play with the recipe, you have to eyeball this one alot.

GoodOlBoy

Thanks

Default pressure cooking squirrels

EXCELLENT POST! don't be shy about posting more.

Scout
    Thanks

squirrel, grits, gravy with biscuits. simple to do. soak in buttermilk overnight, if need be, dredge them in a flour mixture( salt,pepper,garlic-onion powder or omit salt and do Lowery's Seasoned Salt) fry till golden brown. put in the oven for 45min-1hr at 325. then when you make the biscuits just up the temp and leave the squirrels in till the biscuits are done. mean time make a milk gravy using the pan the squirrels were cooked in using the seasoned flour. cook the grits and serve. note- add cheese to the grits if desired. excellent served for supper or reheated for breakfast.

also do rabbit, dove,venison.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robsdak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPainter View Post
    Soaking them in a brine of salt water (NOT "Iodized salt! Don't need the metallic taste of the Iodine!) for couple hours helps break-down the lactic acid in the muscle fibers, and gets rid of a lot of the 'gamey' taste for most. Use Kosher or Sea Salt instead.

Cook using any meat recipe!

I made Squirrel Sheppard's Pie last year, and it was a hit!

~ Sky
    I always soak the squirrels in a saltwater brine but I don't taste any iodine at all. Maybe I'm not using enough salt

Thanks
    Thanked 3,315 Times in 1,180 Posts

I strive to have my slingshot on day adventures just in case I happen upon a nice one....easy, quite, and can drop a squirrel fairly close up. good for rabbits and doves too!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JimBow For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

No squirrels in New Zealand.

Scout
    Thanks

I quit squirrel hunting because my wife and daughter never would join me for the feast afterwards. Which was tragic, because it was my favorite kind of hunting. It was so nice to get out in the woods before sunrise, find a good sitting spot, hear that first bird start singing, then start sniping the little guys with a .22. Carrying out a limit bag was not punishing. Cleaning them was quick and easy. And the most endearing thing about squirrel hunting was the success rate!

I am not a bad cook, but if I had known about some of these techniques, I might be fixing squirrel every week! (And fighting to get one more piece!)

I am sitting here looking at my camo stocked Marlin XT with 30mm red/green dot thinking about these recipes. Tomorrow is Saturday.
    Last edited by Prairiewolf; 10-12-2012 at 08:39 PM.

FishingJunkie92

Steam them with potatoes onions and garlic and add come cajun or cayenne seasoning.

Jeremy

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast