Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I this sleeping bag any good???

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Synthetic insulations break down over the course of being repeatedly compressed/decompressed, static storage does NOT damage the insulation.
    I've found this to be very true. Hollofil II was very disapointing that way. The bags were worthless after 2-3 years. Fortunately they were cheap.

Scout
    Thanks

I have a Glacier's Edge Sleeping Bag that I got in 2000 at the Fred Meyer's in Soldatna, Alaska. If I recall, mine is rated to 30 deg. I really like mine, I can pack it tight when needed. With a fleece liner it is all right in a bit colder temps, then I can put it inside a GI Canvas Sleeping Bag cover and that helps out more.
    Mark

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AK49 View Post
    I do that with all of my sleeping bags except for one. I own a wiggys and they actually recommend that you store it in its stuff sack. They claim that their insulation will never clump up or loose its loft.

You more you read up about Wiggys the more you'll come to find out he's full of the brown stuff.

Thanks

Glacier's Edge is commonly sold in Alaska by Fred Meyer (I think it might be a private label for Fred Meyer, actually) and I actually really like their gear. I've used their tents and their sleeping bags and have been quite pleased. As a rule they are clones of top brand gear and work quite well. Their pricing is also very good. I think for summer in Alaska it'll be fine. Spring/Fall it's going to depend on how warm a sleeper you are, but any deficiencies in the bag rating can be rectified by tossing in some hand warmers or just putting hot water in your water bottles and taking them inside the bag with you when you go to bed. That's what I do, and I've camped out in all four season up here. Also, wear a balaclava to bed, so your head stays warm and you're not tempted to burrow your face into your bag. The vapor from your breath will soak your bag overnight if you do that.

Scout
    Thanks

I think the coldest I used mine was overnight in the back of my truck in Soldatna, Alaska in Jan. It was probably between 5-20 deg. that night, not too bad, but still very much winter. With my GI Cover and the fleece liner, I was fine, granted I was under cover, but still in the ambient temp.

I also have a Glacier's Edge Rucksack that I bought when I got this sleeping bag. I used it quite a bit in Alaska and had no problems at all.
    Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12