Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Hiking

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 404 Posts

Default Oklahoma Hiking

I am looking for a place around Oklahoma, preferably within 2 hours of Oklahoma City, where you can hike and primitive camp. About all I'm finding are places with manicured trails and designated camping spots. Can you use WMA land for this? Ideas?

Thanks

Greenleaf Lake
    Robber's Cave
    McGee Creek Natural Scenic State Rec Area
    Charon's Garden Wilderness

These are about the only places that I know of that allow overnighters. The closest is Charon's Garden at 2 hrs. The rest are 3+ hours.

Thanks

Charon's is a great place for what you are looking for. Got 160 acres 45 minutes from OKC that we are having a get together on Feb 10-11-12. No hiking trails but would love to have you there. It is our second camp out. PM me if you would like to come, I will send you a map. It is a few miles south of Dibble junction.

Thanks

The info is saw said there is very little water in the area. Gotta pack you own in. True?

Thanks

Haven't been there in a few years, but after the summer we had I would not count on any water except for the lakes.

Thanks

Makes since.

Banned Member
    Thanks

I wouldnt drink from lakes or ponds in the Wichita Mts. WR. Unless your running low on mercury and need a boost. There's signs all over suggesting to limit your consumption of fish there. 3/week; 3/month I forget so it's not all that bad. There is water spigots here and there along the road. I have been there a lot but not in some years - definately get yourself a backcountry permit and go if you have not been there.

there was a fire there over the summer and at Mtn. Park WMA which has camping. Hobart is right about 2 hrs from okc Mt. Park camps are another 12-15 miles. Cant say how much the present condition might affect your enjoyment. Some trashy folks use that particular wma but it may have all burnt up except for sofa springs, cans and tv screens, etc.

Not to offer legal advice, or suggest an illegal activity, but I asked the area biologist about where to camp before going to MP WMA- he was like: ohhh anywhere around there. I feel like if you stealth off to bivvy here or there no one is looking to catch you or care.

There's lots of place i have not been in state do i'll be checking back to find some great spots .

Another stealthy quick overnight might be doable in Stinchcomb. I met a guy coming out of the woods not long ago. They were going back in to camp. ??? really. Any regs for there are hard to discern, hard to find anything online about what you can do or not. The river is running with several nice white beaches. This guy told me he has lived nearby his whole life, used to live in the Stinchcomb farmhouse, camped out there numerous times, never knew of or had any problems with the practice. it's only 1000 acres sure lots of marshy but ive found plenty of places to tuck into just never have

Bushmaster
    Thanks

I have no idea how far Disney, OK is for you from OKC???

we've gone there a bunch of times with my 4wd clubs - it's a huge area with very little in/around it. The falls may be crowded on a summer weekend, but you've got the D-day paintball range, the lake itself is huge, and then the wilderness playground is wide, wide open.

we've camped in the campgrounds...but we've also camped way up the trail in meadows and in the woods.

I'm on the eastern border...so that's all I got for ya

Thanks

Great info guys. Backcountry permit? Disney, ok is about 3 hrs from me. I live about 2 miles from stichcomb so I've wondered about it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMScooter View Post
    Great info guys. Backcountry permit? Disney, ok is about 3 hrs from me. I live about 2 miles from stichcomb so I've wondered about it.
    Gotta have a backcountry permit to go into Charons. Only 10 people allowed at a time. 3 day permits Mon, Tues, Wed or Fri, Sat, Sun. No camping on Thursday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast