Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coal Creek Forge tomahawk?

Banned Member
    Thanks

Default Coal Creek Forge tomahawk?

Anyone here ever dealt with Steve over at Coal Creek Forge? Seems to get great reviews over at that blade forum site lol.

tenkara

Yep. Steve built a custom hawk for me about a year and a half ago. It's small since its cutting job is to process small bits of wood for my gasifying wood stove. Its MAIN job, however, is to work as a cat hole digging tool par excellence. It's a pet peeve of mine having to dig holes in tough soil when I need to relieve myself so Steve created a small adze type blade on the back end in lieu of a hammer. I can honestly say I don't hammer much when I'm in the woods, but I do dig cat holes at least twice a day.

Steve communicated well with me and created a product for me that exceeded my expectations. There was also a critical time factor that I needed him to meet and he exceeded that expectation as well. I don't know what his current work load is like, but, if you need a piece done right, then Steve at Coal Creek Forge is person to go to. ( I know I sound like one of those testimonial advertisements but I wouldn't say it if it weren't true)

Banned Member
    Thanks

Do you have pics of your hawk? Did it come good n sharp? I've never heard anyone say their hawk came sharp enough......

I commented after him in a thread over there and asked him to email me so we can talk. I want one with about a 19"-22" handle, 3"-3.5" edge length. And a hammer pole of some sort

tenkara

If I can figure out how to post pictures I'll be happy to post it here. My hawk came pretty sharp, but I'm no expert on sharpening. Keeping the edge sharp is sometimes difficult for me. In fact, I could use a really detailed tutorial on just that. The pole length is right about 24" which is pretty good. Because of the lighter weight of the head I would like a longer length. For weight purposes, I would like the pole to be made of some synthetic that can take a beating. I doubt that will ever happen. nothing seems to work as well as hickory. Is there a wood that is lighter that offers the same strength? One tweek that did improve my hawk was the addition of a 3" piece of bicycle inner tube where the hawk head is normally fixed. It has removed any shakiness as well as preserves the wood.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Ohhhh man ya mean like a polymer handle? There's a guy on blade forums that does lots of CS Trail Hawks with polymer handles

Banned Member
    Thanks

Kinda like these?

tenkara

Wow! I think those may be exactly what I am looking for.

Scout
    Thanks

Steve makes a great hawk and is a fantastic guy to deal with!

Banned Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmike View Post
    Steve makes a great hawk and is a fantastic guy to deal with!
    Do you have his email? What did you lay for yours?

tenkara

Redbusa06, do you have contact info for the guy that makes those handles?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast