Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Frost River Isle Royale Bushcraft pack first hike

Modern Day Kill Captain Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,402 Times in 5,724 Posts
    Items for Sale

Thanks ill be sure to check those tripods out, the inflatable mat I've got will work with the pack but it might not be as good as the non inflatable ill give it a shot and let you know

Quote Originally Posted by jloden View Post
    "Barrel-chested freedom fighter" hahaha. Can't argue with that though, you're about the same height as me but 40lbs heavier

I'm sensing a pattern Kerri... you review a pack, and I decide I have to add a pack to my list of things to buy

The thing that kept holding me back from one of these large canvas packs is I can't see them being anywhere near as comfortable as I'd like for extended carry. Hearing that you can carry it 10 miles and still think it's reasonably comfortable makes me think it might be doable. The only caveat is I usually use an inflatable mat so I'm not sure if it would work nearly as well for the "frame" effect.

By the way, for a tripod, I've been getting a lot of good use out of my ZipShot (I tried both sizes and you definitely want larger one). It's light, quick to set up and take down, and packs small. Works well for carrying in the woods for shooting vids. It's not a pro tripod but it excels at being portable and quick to deploy. Worth looking into for your purposes I think.
    "The coward believes he will live forever If he holds back in the battle, But in old age he shall have no peace Though spears have spared his limbs ." - Havamal

Vendor
    Thanks
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by IamLegend View Post
    Anyone know the cubic inches of this pack. It lists the ci of the smaller one but not the larger on their site.
    Its 3312ci
    Last edited by Kerri; 01-18-2012 at 07:49 AM.
    "The coward believes he will live forever If he holds back in the battle, But in old age he shall have no peace Though spears have spared his limbs ." - Havamal

Staff Supporter
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 44,830 Times in 6,869 Posts

Kerri,

What do you think of the top closure "flaps" Like/hate?

I thought perhaps a draw string closer would be nicer, and more secure for top loaded gear.

Just an idea I had to customize the pack whenever I order it.

Vendor
    Thanks
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by SkogKniv View Post
    Kerri,

What do you think of the top closure "flaps" Like/hate?

I thought perhaps a draw string closer would be nicer, and more secure for top loaded gear.

Just an idea I had to customize the pack whenever I order it.
    It does have grommets at the top of the pack to run chord through so i thinkn will end up doing that kind of the same style as a military duffel bag but there not a bad feature
    Last edited by Kerri; 01-18-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Staff Supporter
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 44,830 Times in 6,869 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KerriTM View Post
    It does have grommets at the top of the pack to run chord through so i thinkn will end up doing that kind of the same style as a military duffel bag but there not a bad feature
    Yeah I have seen it in person, just wasn't excited about the top flap thing. Figured a draw string that runs around the whole top and tightens in the center would be better. The duluth bushcrafter does this, and is the only thing I saw between them both that the duluth looked better at.

The frost river in person seemed to be a far more solid pack, and better fitting as well than the duluth.

Glad you like yours, I am jealous!

Vendor
    Thanks
    Items for Sale

That's not a bad idea But I think you lose a couple inches space I may in the future add a wet weather topper in like I did with m y ruck that will let you maximize spac and still let you close it all up

Thanks

Great stuff brother, this is the first actual review on you tube or anywhere(other than pics and the small clip showing the owners of FR) for that matter.....thanks for sharing with us...

Thanks

I forgot to ask...how would you rank this pack(all around) compared to the Elberlestock you own as well....I really like both packs...

Vendor
    Thanks
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by joe305 View Post
    I forgot to ask...how would you rank this pack(all around) compared to the Elberlestock you own as well....I really like both packs...
    Its tough to compare and ill need to use it more before I can really get an opinion on it. I like the looks of the frost river much better but that's because I dig the traditional look alot more than tactical or other modern gear.
    while the eberlestock has an internal frame that's very comfortable you do have to relaern to pack it as its a unique packing system in order to fit all your items but the frost river could go from pretty comfortable to god awful pretty quick if packed the wrong way

Where as the eberlestock halftrack I own isn't quite a full on ruck sized it could be used for warm weather camping trips or be able to attach items for cooler weather or extended trips the frost river was ment to compete with actual backpacking bags designed for extended camping trips so the size of the frost river is bigger initially but doesn't have as many options to attach items that the halftrack has due to the molle webbing on it

I will use the halftrack for work and the bushcraft pack for hanging out in the woods for fun

Hope that helps

Packmaster Actual Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,158 Times in 3,495 Posts

I found the halftrack hard to pack at times. I really didn't like the internal molle, pockets and divider. I would have preferred it to be plan on the inside, cutting down on weight and doodads. That's one awesome thing about the traditional packs. They have a lot of flexibility when packing odd shaped items. Great review by the way! Thank you
    _____
    Trail Mix - MM's with obstacles
    Tracker Pack Member #7 - Axe Mob Brand Compliance Officer
    http://packmastergear.blogspot.com/

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast