Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Woodsmoke general discussion

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified IamLegend's Avatar
    Thanks

I've never been shy about jumping in and getting my hands dirty or hands on learning so don't get me wrong here. I'm just wondering if I would be able to see more of everything if I were more of a spectator. Guess I would be worried about missing something is all. If I'm working on something over here maybe Mors is saying something interesting over there kinda thing. Ya reckon that's kinda silly? _

Guide
    Thanks

Nope not a silly question as the structure is new. There are several days of short bushcraft classes where you get to experience many things through many instructors before diving into a project.

The silly thing would be missing ALL of it because you didn't go and you could have.

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,847 Times in 921 Posts

I am definitely interested... I learned about Woodsmoke for the first time a few months back and it sounded like a great time, so it's doubly cool that BCUSA is sponsoring this year. However, I'm not sure I can take off that much time for the whole thing.

Is this something where if we buy tickets we could come for just 3-4 days toward the end, for the educational half and skip the campout / re-enactment stuff heading into it?
    "It is one of the blessings of wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy." --Kephart

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified IamLegend's Avatar
    Thanks

Wonder if we can get some serious bush class credit for attending

Guide Supporter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IamLegend View Post
    Wonder if we can get some serious bush class credit for attending
    Maybe not extra credit

But check out the informational thread schedule for Friday July 13th:

Note: Special focus will also be available for those who would like to work on the BushcraftUSA Bushclass Certification Program. If you are new to this, check out the BushcraftUSA Forum section, and click on Bushclass USA. The Bushclass Index lists all of the requirements, lessons and evaluations for the program. You can also work on the curriculum found in Camping In The Old Style The Master Woodsman Training Program.
    "It is one of the blessings of wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy." --Kephart

Guide
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jloden View Post
    I am definitely interested... I learned about Woodsmoke for the first time a few months back and it sounded like a great time, so it's doubly cool that BCUSA is sponsoring this year. However, I'm not sure I can take off that much time for the whole thing.

Is this something where if we buy tickets we could come for just 3-4 days toward the end, for the educational half and skip the campout / re-enactment stuff heading into it?
    Friday/Saturday/Sunday is the Re-Encampment, so if you were just interested in the hands-on skills, personally, I would try and get there Sunday for the 6 pm opening address and orientation, as...

Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday are Bushcraft classes from all the instructors.

Thursday/Friday/Saturday is your Woodcraft University Project.

Guide Supporter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abo4ster View Post
    Friday/Saturday/Sunday is the Re-Encampment, so if you were just interested in the hands-on skills, personally, I would try and get there Sunday for the 6 pm opening address and orientation, as...

Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday are Bushcraft classes from all the instructors.

Thursday/Friday/Saturday is your Woodcraft University Project.
    Thanks for the info. I just got clearance from the wife, too

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,336 Times in 403 Posts

Hate to quote Bono but...
    "It's a beautiful day"

Thanks

Just slipped into the lodge for a peek. Yes you can come early. You can cook on site or Tetonia is a couple miles away and Driggs about 6 or 7 miles. If the spring run-off is finished we will be able to drive right into camp. Go to the Camp and Trail X blog and there is a site map. Lots of trees for hammocks so long as the creeks have gone down. We'll keep everyone posted.DW

Scout
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,354 Times in 158 Posts

I will probably camp in the none traditional camp as I will have my tipis. Still thinking about making a wall tent for the traditional site but I am more of a stone age mountain man type camper.

You won't be able to miss my camp so stop on by.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast