Thread: Remington Model 48 Mohawk shotgun

Tracker
    Thanks

Question Remington Model 48 Mohawk shotgun

Found a Remington Model 48 Mohawk in 12 gauge last night. It is a semi-auto in 2 3/4 " chambering.

It will accept 4 rounds in the mag tube and has a 28" barrel. Probably NRA 75% condition.

I did some research and this is an economy model based on the 11-48, Model 58 and the Model 48 sportsman.

I do not know much about it other than the model is known for reliability, it is recoil operated and preceded the Model 1100 shotgun.

They want $ 250 OTD but i need some scoop on it, good or bad B4 i take the plunge.

Scout
    Thanks

Without looking I have no idea as to the current pricing on this model, but I can relate that one of my brothers had this model (now his son does) for years (at least the last thirty or so and he acquired it "used" back then) and it had always been a reliable shotgun for him!

Thanks
    Thanked 30,487 Times in 8,827 Posts

Mohawk line was usually a plain mahogany or other hardwood stock rather than walnut, and a lower polish on the metal before bluing. Other than that , they were mechanically the same as the pricier guns.

Book value in 80% condition is around $175; In 100% condition, perhaps $300.

About 275,000 made, from 1949 to 1960.
    Nemo me impune lacessit ! Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    Turley Knife Club #59

Thanks

I bought one new for about $149 back about 1970 - new/old stock I presume. Externally, it looks like the 1100 but a bunch of the parts are not interchangeable, including the barrels. It was a solid gun and I never found it to be anything but reliable.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,487 Times in 8,827 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    I bought one new for about $149 back about 1970 - new/old stock I presume. Externally, it looks like the 1100 but a bunch of the parts are not interchangeable, including the barrels. It was a solid gun and I never found it to be anything but reliable.
    Well, the Remington 100 is a gas operated design, while the 48 in all iterations is a _recoil_ operated design, like the old Browning A5 humpback model that is the more familiar recoil design.
    That difference means that , despite any external similarities, the internal operating parts are mostly going to be very different.

They are reliable, they also have considerably more _felt_ recoil than a gas operated gun.
    Nemo me impune lacessit ! Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    Turley Knife Club #59

Guide
    Thanks

Default Before I bought it:

(1) If you have a trusted gunsmith ask him his opinion of it. In particular ask him what work he has had to do them more than once.

(2) Determine what the parts situation is. If they are scarce, it might be a negotiating point. If they are really scarce, it would be a deal breaker for me.

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 965 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by askari View Post
    Found a Remington Model 48 Mohawk in 12 gauge last night. It is a semi-auto in 2 3/4 " chambering.

It will accept 4 rounds in the mag tube and has a 28" barrel. Probably NRA 75% condition.

I did some research and this is an economy model based on the 11-48, Model 58 and the Model 48 sportsman.

I do not know much about it other than the model is known for reliability, it is recoil operated and preceded the Model 1100 shotgun.

They want $ 250 OTD but i need some scoop on it, good or bad B4 i take the plunge.
    I think the price is a bit high since it is 75% I would probably pay only $200 OTD, maybe even $180. Each of us has a break point for pricing. Good luck.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Robert Frost