Well I was welding up a new anvil today. And when I finished (almost) I had a length of flat stock with a short piece of 5160 welded to the end, left over from a previous knife blank. I decided that, maybe after all this work Ive been doing, maybe now I will be able to get a forge weld to take. So, I heated the bar up and folded it over onto itself. Then I heated again, fluxed the stock where it was folded, reheated and BANG BANG BANG! HOLY COW! It Took!!
So, then I decided to see if I could do it again. I heated the bar and folded it once more. I repeated the previous steps, and.... BAM! It took!
This primal instinct took over and I couldn't stop. Fold, hammer weld. Fold, hammer weld. Fold, hammer weld. Fold, hammer weld. and on and on, Before I knew it I had been doing this for an hour. Mind you, this piece of "Damascus" is only 1/8" x 2" x 1/2" But. it is no less.
To see if it had really made a difference the chemical makeup of the steel, I heated it to critical and quenched it in water. IT HARDENED! A file skates over it, while just behind the forge welds - the file digs right in.
Oh boy. Matt has a new addiction I'm going to grind it down and see if I can etch it now. I just had to share it!!
To think, I planned on not doing any forge work today...